My Kona is at Hyundai for the Battery update...

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Jun 22, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I recorded my screen starting recording my phone screen from 63% to 78%. For whatever reason, EA showed 66kw and then 45kw etc.. Not sure why it showed 66kw first.. The number on the dash showed the 2nd value and not the 66kw.. Not sure why it would display 2 different values for power at the same %..

KiwiME likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

When you are talking about the "dashboard", is this the main screen that shows options like Realtime Information, Fault Codes, Map View, Test Results, Graphing etc or is the Realtime Information screen that shows all the values from the sensors??
    I also wonder if you can use the Graphing function to turn the data into a graph?
    I know how to plot once I have the data in Excel.. I did one based on my observations, manually inputting the data

20200626_162624.jpg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  4. Yes, by dashboard I mean the Realtime Information screen(s). I haven't tried the built-in graphing as Excel is useful for data conversions prior to graphing, for example Battery Power needs to be inverted to make the numbers positive. The options in TP seem limited, particularly if you don't plot against time.

5. FloridaSun

So, I tried logging at a 50kw charger yesterday.. Had some issues charging. Charging was stopped by the Kona twice because the battery got too hot. Thermal management did not come on. I had the car on while charging and somehow this seemed to have prevented the Thermal Management to come on. On my 3rd session, I turned the car off and Thermal Management came on and finished the charge. I sent the log file to my laptop where I removed the data when the car stopped charging.
    Tried to graph the edited data but it would only do a partial graph. Too much data.. Torque Pro was logging every minute.. So, I ended up deleting a lot of data, leaving only 1 entry per half kw..
    Then I re-did the graph and it worked..
    Since that, I switched to logging only every 5 seconds which is the largest interval.
    I did change the formula for battery draw from
    val{000_Battery Current}*val{000_Battery DC Voltage}/1000
    to
    val{000_Battery Current}*val{000_Battery DC Voltage}/-1000
    to get positive numbers..

6. I hope this is not a glitch in the update as temp increase has been reported on DCFC here as well:
    https://www.speakev.com/threads/dc-charging-curve-changed-in-new-update.150933/page-9#post-2843425
    with a fix here:
    https://www.speakev.com/threads/dc-charging-curve-changed-in-new-update.150933/page-8#post-2843003
    I have mine booked for July/3rd.:confused:
    Any one in Canada with the update have had the charging stopped with battery over heating on a DCFC?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

My first time charging at EA worked just fine... just slower than expected.. However, I did have the car off when I charged at EA and the car was on when I charged at the 50kw charger. Not sure if I should contact Hyundai.. I can't find any number for technical assistance.. I'm not sure if my local Hyundai dealer has the knowledge needed to deal with the specific issue as I'm the only one with a Kona Electric in town. Would be nice if I would find someone from Hyundai USA who has technical knowledge of the EV's to check if I should bring my car back in to have it checked...

9. Would have been nice to capture the battery temps with TP before and after the update, maybe research that.
    I don't have TP, and when fast charging (very rare) its never over 50kw.

10. Oops, I thought I had mentioned the 5 seconds but I see now it got lost during editing. It's odd that it can't do longer intervals as excessive data is a problem for me as well when I log for 2 hours on a trip. About 8,000 datapoints is about as much as Excel can deal with when graphing, at least version 2007 on my slow PC.
    On SpeakEVs, 'stageshoot' experienced lack of battery cooling as well and he also has the update. Wasn't quite hot enough to stop charging though, if I recall. Perhaps when the car is on it considers the cabin to have cooling priority?

11. FloridaSun

I will add Battery Module 1 to 4 temperatures as also Battery intake air temperature (this will show is the Thermal Management kicked in.. If Thermal management is on, the intake temperature is in the 60's) in the sensors being recorded..

BTW, I did monitor the battery temperature while charging before and battery temperature stayed around 95 - 97F.. When I charged at the 50kw charger yesterday, temperature went to 101F and that's when the charging was interrupted..

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. FloridaSun

I didn't have the AC on.. I just had the Car turned on with the windows open because I thought that the OBD2 reader will shut off when the car is off.. I realized that this is not the case and that the OBD2 reader keeps reporting, even with the car off..

14. Yep, the OBD will work whenever the car is awake doing something, even the aux battery saver. But I'm uncertain what happens if the phone goes to sleep and so have mine set to stay on. The options 'Log when Torque starts' and 'Only when OBD connected' will start logging automatically. Best to switch off the first item if you aren't always using the logging. You can still start it manually.

FloridaSun likes this.
  15. Just curious, was the 50 kw charger that stopped charging (the 101F charge interrupted one) non EA equipment ?
    Maybe an additional equipment com error due to the update?

16. So we happen to do a small road trip and using EA chargers.
    HV Battery did not warm up too much during the charging.
    YouTube Video is here with some graphs at the end as well:
    We also encountered a small problem with the EA chargers.

17. FloridaSun

Charger was a brand new Greenlots charger. Used it just a week earlier. The issue was not at the charger. The car stopped requesting charge.. dropped to 20kw, then to zero...

18. Well at least that worked. IIRC the temperature at which the pack cooling system cuts in is about 100F so that would explain why the charge was terminated as per car request at 101F.
    I guess the appropriate question is why the system did not initiating cooling. Surely it can't be having the car tuned on/off while charging.:confused:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  19. FloridaSun

Charging wasn't terminated.. Charge level just dropped to 20kw and the zero.. The session was still active but the car was only pulling 0kw

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  20. Kona Bill

Kona Bill Member

Just got mine back and after charging it to 92%, mine registered 267 gom range. Hope it lasts, know it won’t.

21. Kona Bill

Kona Bill Member

The dealer said it took about 40 mins for mine.

22. FloridaSun

Just charged at the same charger again where I had the issue and the same thing happened.. I ended up moving to the 2nd charger that they have at that location and that one worked fine.. Battery cooling DID come on but the charger still shut off.. When I moved to the other charger, I was able to charge to 80% with no issues. Battery cooling was on during the entire session.. Battery cooling cost me about 2.5 kw.. Torque Pro showed 45.5 kw when the dash showed 48kw...

KiwiME likes this.
  23. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

When I took it in they said 45 min. but that turned out to be only the first stage. It ended up being 2-3 hr.

electriceddy likes this.