i70 West Travel Unlocked!

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Dakota Cole, Jun 22, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

Will you use the EA Green River or Salina DCFC?

1. Yes!

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Add Ford Mach-E to that list:
    https://thenewswheel.com/ford-mustang-mach-e-free-electrify-america-charging/

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Dakota Cole

Dakota Cole New Member

EA has VIN recognition in the works for possible deployment later in the year. That would link you EA app to your cars VIN, so when you plug in the charger knows where to bill you for the charge automatically, no more fumbling for your RFID, credit card or the EA app. I'm super excited for this feature.

4. Dakota Cole

Dakota Cole New Member

Seems to be the case. Has anyone else signed up for the Hyundai Kona special rate with EA? I signed up for the special rate, but not had a chance to use it yet due to covid.

5. Dakota Cole

Dakota Cole New Member

Adjustments.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

And this gets to another question. Does the BMS update that we are getting include the car side support for VIN recognition?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Dakota Cole

Dakota Cole New Member

I haven’t gotten any details out of Hyundai to determine what the BMS update is actually for.

9. No, the current Kona cars will probably never support the plug and charge standard. I can't remember where I read about that, though.
    Yes, I did and used it a couple times, it worked flawlessly for me.

10. Dakota Cole

Dakota Cole New Member

If you can find where you read the the Hyundai Kona won’t be supported with plug & charge I would be interested to read it. Iv not found a compatibility list of any kind yet. This was the article I referenced for EA deploying plug and charge https://insideevs.com/news/378762/electrify-america-plugcharge-2020/

11. The vehicle needs to have technology for communication built in. Currently only Tesla's have this technology but several cars coming out next year will be incorporating it, like the Mustang Mach E.

Below is a quote from a larger article linked below

"Electric vehicles will also need a way to secure the vehicle-side cryptographic key which will become common place with emerging models.
    The vehicles will need to have the storage technology built in, in much the same way as paying for something with your smartphone requires NFC technology,” Kennedy said.

“Once that becomes the norm, as NFC has, you will see the incidents of Plug and Charge payments skyrocket.”

https://esdnews.com.au/tritium-launches-world-first-plug-and-charge-technology/

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. In my case I use a bunch of RFID cards when required at the various networks (no smartphone), sure would be nice to get rid of those.

14. Dakota Cole

Dakota Cole New Member

Thanks for sharing that, based of that article it does indeed imply that more software/hardware will be required in the vehicle to store the certificates.

I suppose the method of cars plugging into the charger and communicates its VIN and maximum power, the charger relays the vin securely to the EA servers where your VIN is matched to your account and associated payment methods. EA server authorizes the transaction and engages that charger to begin charging. Upon completion the charger relays the charge info kW consumed or minutes to EA where the transaction and payment is completed. Wouldn’t be secure because the only form of authentication is the VIN which could be spoofed and someone could rack up a charging bill on your account.

I hope an aftermarket retrofit will become an option as opposed to buy a new EV just to achieve this convince. The argument could be made at that point to just buy a model 3...

15. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

There are different methods to authenticate a car automatically. "Plug & charge" is the
    full certificate-based ISO15118 style most folks are shooting for, but also look up
    "autocharge" which if I understand right could work TODAY with any vehicle that
    supports CCS charging. I don't think either involves the VIN, it's either the ether
    MAC address of the car's charge communication controller, or an installed cert
    that ties to a billing account. Both involve an initial set-up transaction.

Any questions to networks about Autocharge have fallen flat, but it *could* be
    an interim / backward-compatible solution.

. https://evfleetworld.co.uk/evgo-to-roll-out-automatic-charging-across-fast-charging-network/
    . https://support.fastned.nl/hc/en-gb/articles/115012747127-Autocharge-

We can do it here, WITHOUT RETROFITS, and if theory is that EVGo already supports
    it I have seen zero evidence from them about it. I should call their tech people...

_H*

Esprit1st likes this.
  16. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I have seen discussions about how the public key aspects of 15118 are overkill, and are trying to solve problems that might not exist. And yes - the problem could come up in the future at some point, I guess, so to an extent they are future-proofing the thing.

17. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

It's totally overkill, just like the failure of meaningful public-key infrastructure
    on tne internet is. It's someone's grad CS thesis grown into a monster, as I
    mention in my DCFC page,. Until vehicle owners start widely cloning MAC
    addresses in charge communicztion gear, the whole thing can be simpler
    and more accessible to current owners as well as future ones. And the same
    kind of fraud detection that happens with static-value credit cards would
    come into play.

_H*