How to check for all software updates?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by turtleturtle, Jun 18, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

I’m seeing across the threads several SE updates in the last few years. So far it sounds like there are no OTA updates and these all need to be done at the dealer.

Is there a way to tell if these SW updates have been applied to a vehicle? Something under the hidden configuration menu? And there is no way to flash this via USB from home?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

When I bought the car (November 2018), I was aware of the service bulletins and asked the service manager to provide evidence that each of these had been incorporated. He was unable to do this, and could only query his system with the VIN number and identify that there was "nothing outstanding". That is obviously not the same as an itemized list of what was incorporated and when!

Somewhere along the way, the factory undoubtedly incorporated all the updates and all cars coming off the line had these fixes. I have never seen any updates (hardware or software) reported beyond the few listed in this forum, so I believe there aren't any,

If I trust my service manager's "nothing outstanding" statement, then I believe the factory had incorporated all these changes before my vehicle was manufactured (August 2018).

What is your manufacture date?

4. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

It sure will be nice when all manufacturers follow Tesla's lead and push software updates over the LTE network. No need to travel to a dealership for something that can be sent over the air.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I get burned whenever I read about Tesla using their OTA technology to REMOVE features they want second owners to pay for again. It's nice to have more control over when your car gets changed by the manufacturer.

Cash Traylor likes this.
  6. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

Car was MFG’ed in Feb 2019; sat on the lot for a while. Dealer isn’t Clarity certified, so not sure they took care of everything needed.

But also can’t find a way to verify it.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Mine was built in December of 2018 and sat on a dealer's lot for 9 months. I asked them to run the full diagnostic as a condition of purchase (including Battery Capacity as the car had NEVER been charged - they'd been giving test drives with an empty battery!) but it, too, didn't show if updates had been run. What I can say is that I've seen no evidence of any of the issues that software updates were supposed to fix so - as you said in an earlier post - they've probably been done at the factory. BTW - no such thing as OTA updates in Clarityworld...

9. NotGreen

NotGreen New Member

Bump. :)

I am also curious if anyone has been able to acquire a comprehensive list of updates and their release dates. Also, to be able to check the current software/firmware version would be nice. I have also helped my dealer to learn how to do battery checks, based on what I have learned on forums. Thank you for any help. I'm new here. Hello everyone!

10. MrFixit

Here is the current list of updates and release dates as best as I can determine:
    • 18-089 (formerly 18-079), 10/6/2018 (7/10/2018)
      • There is a software problem in the climate control unit when running the heater, which may turn the MIL on.
    • 18-090, 10/17/2019
      • There is a software problem in the PCM, which may cause the MIL to come on with DTC P26A3 (electric water valve malfunction), DTC P100C (electric VTC motor speed signal circuit malfunction) and/or P0010 (variable valve timing control [VTC] malfunction
    • 18-091, 10/6/2018:
      • There is a software error in the miles per gallon calculation, which affects the HV range display by reading unusually high (this replaces 18-069)
    • 18-096, 10/6/2018
      • 6CW00, Emissions Warranty CD Product Update
    • 18-097, 10/27/2018
      • The Clarity Plug-In Hybrid and Clarity Electric may not start charging when plugged in or may stop charging before the high-voltage lithium-ion battery is full (sensitivity to power fluctuations at public chargers).
    • 21-008, 2/11/2021
      • The Hybrid System Failure message comes on the MID, and DTC P1D8D (Generator Motor Inverter Short) is stored
    • 21-017, 5/28/2021
      • American Honda is extending the warranty on the A/C condenser to 10 years from the original date of purchase with unlimited miles
    I have attached all of these TSB's to this posting. As far as I know there is no way to check current software / firmware versions (I am not even certain that the dealers can do this to be honest). Note that Honda does not do any OTA updates, so you would never experience any 'updates' without your knowledge. The software / firmware has been extremely stable. At least one of these TSB's (18-097) is only installed upon request (if a user experiences this problem). I was unfamiliar with 21-008 until looking at this today, and I could not locate the actual TSB (maybe it has not been finalized yet?). Aside from 21-008, nothing has changed for quite a long time.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  11. NotGreen

NotGreen New Member

Wow! This is amazing. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!!!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. dnb

dnb Active Member

Are they separate software updates or would doing the latest (18-096) include all the other fixes too? My dealer hasn't done any updates even though I've asked and I bought mine in Sept 2018.

14. MrFixit

I beleive they are seperate, but...

Almost all of these (including 18-090) were known earlier in 2018.
    I'm sure that Honda was installing these on the assembly line even before they were issued as TSB's.

I purchased my Clarity on 11/3/2018 (it was manufactured in August 2018), and I beleive all of the '18-' TSB's were already installed when it arrived from the factory. What is your manufacture date? It is highly likely they were already there when you bought the car.

I find it a little disconcerting that the dealers seem to be unable to produce a document that delineates each update and when it was installed. My dealer could only tell me that "everything was up to date" when I purchased mine, but perhaps this is consistent with factory installs where they are part of the build beyond a certain VIN number.

15. ronrob

ronrob New Member

Not sure if something has changed or if there's just differing service capabilities between dealers. I scheduled an oil change and recall work with my local dealer (Bill Pearce, Reno, NV) and they were able to tell me which updates had been applied, were outstanding, and what recalls had not yet been done. They did all of it same afternoon except the computer module swap (probably the pcm in 18-090). For that they ordered the part and scheduled a follow up visit that fit for me. Easily the best experience at a dealer I've ever had.

Madmartigen and insightman like this.
  16. MrFixit

In the interest of completeness, I have attached SB 21-008 which was not available when I first posted the list in December (Message #8 above).

Attached Files:

17. Are the software versions being discussed here different from what's displayed in diagnostics? Refer to pictures: IMG_20221003_190143.jpg IMG_20221003_190108.jpg

18. MrFixit

Yes, what is being discussed here are all the various TSB's (listed in Post #6 above). The revision of the head unit that you depict would also be of interest, but no TSB's have been issued against the head unit that I am aware of.

19. I was just thinking maybe a simple comparison of these version data fields would be sufficient for the OP to address his question.

Are you referring to the update payloads themselves, or to logs or records of updates? I believe it is definitely possible to push the update packages yourself, given that you are able to get your hands on them somehow. You could presumably do so through ADB or through the recovery menu, but obviously you risk bricking your unit without prior knowledge on the specific procedures involved. In regards to the logs, there are actually a significant number of logs present and accessible, but not all of them are human-readable (for example, the telematics data exported to USB appears to be obfuscated). There are other logs that take up significant amounts of storage considering how little there is to begin with, e.g., every single power on/off event is for some reason logged. I'm unsure what logging behavior is defaulted in terms of storage management (e.g., replace oldest entries when n% capacity remains, etc.), but if you've not cleared any entries and we presume it still has yet to be cleared from storage, you can likely dig it up somewhere through a root-enabled file explorer application (such as X-plore).