Honda smart charge

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Johnhaydev, Jun 5, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Johnhaydev

Johnhaydev Active Member

has anyone heard about this?
    Received an email about it today.
    Not sure if it’s worth in in terms of one’s privacy versus the money Honda will pay someone to participate.
    text of email is below

Dear Honda Clarity Owner,

You made a smart decision when you purchased your Clarity. Now Honda would like to pay you for charging it and reduce the carbon footprint of your electric driving by purchasing matching renewable energy!

Here’s how it works: Honda will pay you $10 simply for signing up for our Honda SmartCharge Low Carbon Fuel Standard program. If you are eligible to participate, you will have the opportunity to earn additional rewards based on where you charge and how much you charge your Clarity. Since the electricity from the grid used to charge your Clarity may not be 100% clean, by participating in our LCFS program, Honda will purchase clean renewable energy to match your Clarity charging!

Simply click the button below, sign up, and earn money for doing what you do anyway – charging your Clarity.

Keanen likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

Haven't heard of it

4. k b

k b New Member

I just got the Honda Smart Charge email about 2 hours ago.

Here's some more info. It's a California program.

Honda would like to pay you for charging your Clarity and reduce the carbon footprint of your electric driving by purchasing matching renewable energy.

The Honda SmartCharge LCFS (Low Carbon Fuel Standard) Program (the "Program") enables Honda to participate in the California Air Resources Board’s Low Carbon Fuel Standard program ("CARB LCFS"), which is designed to reduce the carbon intensity of transportation fuels. This is where you and your Clarity charging come in: by providing eligible vehicle charging data and matching renewable energy procurement data to the CARB LCFS program, Honda can earn LCFS credits. Honda can then sell these LCFS credits to earn revenue.

Honda created the Program to share this revenue with Clarity owners and lessees. By enrolling in the Program, you agree to share your vehicle charging data with the California Air Resources Board, either directly through Honda or via our program administrator, which enables Honda to earn the LCFS credits.

With your consent, Honda will share your residential Clarity charging data and the matching renewable energy that we purchase with the California Air Resources Board, either directly or via our program administrator. The California Air Resources Board then will allocate LCFS credits to Honda based on the total amount of MWh of electricity used to charge participating Clarity vehicles at the participants’ residences.

Honda will pay you $10 to sign up for the Program and, if you’re eligible to participate, you will have the opportunity to earn additional rewards based on your level of participation in the Program (“Charging Rewards”).

Any Charging Rewards you earn will be proportional to how often you charge your Clarity and will depend on a number of factors, including:

1. How much energy you use to charge your participating Clarity
    2. Your charging location
    3. Your home utility company
    4. The market value of Low Carbon Fuel Standard Credits
    5. Costs to administer the Program

The first Charging Rewards will be calculated for the period starting [with the launch date of the Program through December 31, 2019], and then annually thereafter; provided, however, that Charging Rewards will be paid out only if the revenue Honda receives from the sale of LCFS credits from the Program in the applicable calendar year exceeds its costs to administer the Program during that calendar year.

Honda reserves the right to change or terminate the rewards at any time upon written or e‑mail notice to you. At Honda’s discretion, earned rewards will be sent to the mailing or e-mail address you provide at the time of sign up. You may update your mailing address or e‑mail address by calling Honda Customer Service at 1‑800‑999‑1009 between the hours of 6:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Pacific Time.

To participate in the Program:

1. Your Clarity must be registered with HondaLink® and enrolled in the “Remote Features” available through HondaLink®
    • For more information about registering and enrolling in HondaLink®, please click here.
    2. You must live in California and not be enrolled in any other program that utilizes the LCFS credits that can be earned by your Clarity.
    • For example, you are not eligible if you are enrolled in a Community Choice Aggregator (CCA) program where the CCA already claims LCFS credits on your behalf.

If you sign up for the Program, Honda will confirm that you are registered for HondaLink® and that your Clarity is enrolled in Remote Services. In addition, we will submit your information to the California Air Resources Board to determine if you are eligible to participate in the Program. We will notify you if we determine that you are not eligible to participate.

5. S L .

S L . Active Member

Just got the same email, first thing i did was check out the forum if anyone already signed up.

They already know my info, they just want to know how, when, where i charge. I’m not sure if they will actually payout though.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. k b

k b New Member

Yeah, I thought Honda was already getting our Honda Clarity charge info. This is more about sharing our info with the California Air Resources Board I guess. Might as well get the free $10 and any "additional rewards" in Amazon GC for charging. ;)

Johnhaydev likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

I signed up for it. If you are concerned about privacy, don't sign up. Leaves more of the potential payout to those of us who do

k b and Kerbe like this.
  9. Kestrel

Kestrel Member

I just got a reminder email about the program, and of course came here to learn more! I found this in the small print on the website, emphasis added:
    The first Charging Rewards will be calculated for the period starting June 5, 2020 and through December 31, 2020, and then annually thereafter; provided, however, that Charging Rewards will be paid out only if the revenue Honda receives from the sale of LCFS credits from the Program in the applicable calendar year exceeds its costs to administer the Program during that calendar year.

Guess I won't hold my breath for a large payout, especially since I'm not driving or charging much these days.

10. k b

k b New Member

For those that signed up, check your email. I finally got the email from Honda with a $10 Amazon GC.
    I signed up June 5th and got the $10 GC yesterday evening July 8th.

Johnhaydev likes this.
  11. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

I wish they were doing this in other states too or even promoting installation of more public chargers.

Mowcowbell likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Doubt I'll ever see this program living in a state where the oil companies have the political leaders in their back pocket.

14. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

I live in CA and haven't gotten any email.

15. ManKo

ManKo Member

I signed up in June and got the $10 Amazon gift card last week too. I also take advantage of the JuiceBox Juicepoints. I’m up to 25,500 points on there (1,000 points = $1.00).

16. Johnhaydev

Johnhaydev Active Member

Here’s my latest update on the program
    After March I haven’t been driving or charging much so we’ll see what happens for the rest of the year.

Dear Honda Clarity Driver,

Thank you for participating in the Honda SmartCharge LCFS (Low Carbon Fuel Standard) Program! You helped reduce your environmental impact and earned $5.85 for participating in the program in January - March of 2020.

Each quarter, your reward total will be updated and at the end of the current calendar year you will receive your accumulated reward via an Amazon Gift Code.

Thank you for participating in our LCFS program and helping the environment

Mud Killer likes this.
  17. S L .

S L . Active Member

Got the same email, but i got $9.53. I wonder how they calculate. Before covid, we used up the ev miles everyday, now we barely drive 20 miles a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

18. ManKo

ManKo Member

$6.76 for me. I also have accumulated approximately 29,000 juice points from my JuiceBox (1,000 points = $1.00).

19. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

For some reason they left me out of that program...