Marked Drop in Range noticed

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Brennan Raposo, Jun 8, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Brennan Raposo

Brennan Raposo Well-Known Member

Afternoon all,
    Just wondering if anyone has an recommendations for a problem I've noticed recently.
    As I'm sure many are in the same situation - my car are remained relatively unused in the last 3 months due to the COVID situation.

I took a 180 km trip to a friends farm to help out. I charge to 100% the evening before. When I awoke - my 2019 Kona had a range of 376 km at 100% SOC. This was much lower than anticipated as when I had my recall done about 3 weeks ago - I achieved nearly 500km at 100% SOC the following morning. When I got to his farm, I calculated an actual usage of even less than that. I charge up at his place on Level 1 AC and was able to make it home.

Last night - I charge to 100% again, and got only 345km this time. As the temperature improves, it appears as though my range has dropped significantly. Last summer I was easily able to achieve well into the high 400's without concern at all. Now I can't seem to get close to even the advertised number of "415 km".

Wondering if there's anyone else out there experiencing something similarly or If I should book an appt. with the service center.

Thanks in advance!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

There are several other threads on this topic. Your estimated range depends on your driving habits. A longer highway trip will decrease estimated range and a couple of days with city only driving, the range will increase substantially.. The estimate depends on your recent mi/kwh or km/kwh.. Unlike Tesla which always shows you rated range less degradation, the Kona will estimate your range based on your driving habits. If you drive at fast speeds, your estimate will go down significantly.

Wildeyed likes this.
  4. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

There seems to be a lot of unnecessary worrying about fluctuations in the estimated range. A more interesting figure is the actual consumption, which can be compared from day to day on the Drive Info display.

5. I really think that the GOM likes consistency. The covid lull undoubtedly figures in the GOM math. Add to that a highway-speed burst of activity like the road trip you describe and it's undoubtedly wonky. And yes, I too am seeing lower range estimates this summer. I only recently broke the 400 km barrier and sincerely wonder if I will ever hit the 500 km benchmark I achieved last year. I was really looking forward to comparing summer one to summer two but I'm afraid that with covid restrictions and the concomitant driving reductions it's, unfortunately, an apples to oranges comparison.
    Maybe next summer? :) Oh, and FYI, I have not gotten the software update yet.

6. There have been a few similar complaints related to this 'recall'.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Perhaps an owner running torque pro and has had the software update can check at 100% display SOC for 4.2V cell voltage with approx 96% SOC Torque pro BMS reading to confirm.

9. FloridaSun

That would be interesting to know.. I haven't done the "recall" software update yet. Whenever I checked with Torque Pro, my SOC BMS is 95.5% when my SOC Display is 100%. Maybe that update increased the battery reserve and took away from the usable battery? Would be nice to hear back from someone who has Torque Pro and had the update done.. Tesla did something similar on the Model S. They increased the safety buffer, taking away from the owners range on some models and they got many complaints about that..

10. I had the update. I read 96.5% BMS at indicated 100% SOC before and after the update, so no difference. The only thing interesting is my baseline BMS reading of 95% when the battery was brand new has gone up to 96.5% which could possibly indicate a 1.5% degradation in past 6 months, which would not be terribly shocking as the newish pack settles.

11. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

So many things can affect range. First the GOM, as you know is a Guess-O-Meter. I would put no value to what it guesses except as a rough estimate of range left on your batteries. In 2019 the range was 419km. The revision of the European version was not substantiated by Hyundai as to how it was achieved. With the same Kwh capacity as 2019, I am doubtful if it actually increased. Much as been discussed about what affects range including temp, use of heater, defrosting, high speed, uphills and downhills use of regen and tire pressure. All have a substantial affect on mileage. There are some range tests on YouTube for the Kona EV which resulted in about 215 miles or 346 km. When you watch these they were mostly freeway miles.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. FloridaSun

Unfortunately, I never got a baseline reading when my car was new.. The first time I checked it was at about 20k miles and it was 95.5%.. Have to check one of those days when I charge to 100%.. I rarely charge to 100% which may be one reason why my degradation is slow.. I do frequently charge DC fast but usually not close to 100% even though once I charged to about 97% on a DC fast charger..

14. Brennan Raposo

Brennan Raposo Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the response.
    Something just doesn't seem right with my range as of late. I completely understand that the GOM is just a guess, but when I "Do the math" it actually seems to be higher than the range that I'm actually achieving in the trip computer.

Just last night I charged to my usual 90% SOC and got a measly 295 km. That's 3.27km per "%" meaning a 100% SOC would get me only 328 km.
    I almost exclusively do highway driving, but again - that has never changed. I would regularly achieve well into the 400's and have once or twice achieved over 500 km. It looks like I'll never get anywhere close to that now.

As mentioned, hopefully someone with Torque Pro could chime in.

15. Brennan, You mention the real question to be answered: is your range ACTUALLY reduced or is you GOM estimate just screwy? Hoping it just the math and not an actual battery capacity reduction.