Delivery Times for 2019 Canada

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Grego, May 12, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ordered mine "Ultimate" on September 9th, sent an email to the dealer last week, told me the schedule is the car should be deliver around July 15th.. may be later because of the situation. They will get a confirmation a month before delivery.. located in Montreal, Quebec.

ericy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Do you mind me asking where is your dealer?

4. Blainville

5. Ordered my Preferred last week of July 2019. Radio silence from dealer summer, fall, winter... I finally called them end of February, the car was supposedly in the queue for production with delivery expected end of April. Radio silence again... called them at the end of April wondering where the car was (though COVID happened, fair enough). I had to call three times and escalate to a dealership general manager who took a week to get a hold of a Hyundai Canada rep before I could finally get someone to get me an answer. Now it's in the queue for production in June - though I have my doubts based on the conversation and think they may have made that up. My takeaways: 1) nobody in the dealership, Hyundai Canada, or Hyundai global for that matter knows what's happening across their supply chain 2) once there's a signature on a purchase order, customer service craters. It's hard to be excited about this new vehicle any more - 10 months and counting at this point.

Wildeyed likes this.
  6. I am constantly disappointed by the dealership system, regardless of the company. I have many, many issues with Tesla, but at least you can order online. There is no reason to not be able to do that with any other manufacturer. The only thing you miss out on is the ability to haggle or localized pricing.

I was told last week by my dealer that "They were expecting a delivery of Kona EV's in June and that mine *should* be in it." Guess I'll see!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. eastpole

eastpole Active Member

Volkswagen is going this route just for their electric cars. (And just in Germany, to start with.)
    https://electrek.co/2020/05/20/all-vw-retailers-agree-to-agency-approach-to-selling-electric-cars/
    It's almost as if a car company noticed that dealerships hate to sell electric cars.

To be fair to Hyundai, in the whole time I interacted with the dealership, and despite numerous mess-ups, no one ever tried to sell me anything other than the Kona EV I wanted to buy, and no one talked the car down or suggested a fossil alternative. I am not at all convinced that they manage the supply chain better for any built-to-order car. I've never bought one from Hyundai but my family bought a couple from Toyota in the past, weird things like "No Radio" or "Manual transmission, smallest available engine."

9. RodO

RodO New Member

I ordered a Kona Electric Ultimate from the local dealership in Duncan, B.C (Vancouver Island) in June 2019. Put down a small deposit to secure a Scrap-It rebate and it has been virtual silence from the dealership since then. I continue to wait. I have emailed the salesman several time with only 2 responses, but no useful information. Finally got through to the manager 2 months ago and he said June should see it come in. Now in June (a year after the order) and still no word. As much as we are anxious to get the vehicle the lack of communication from the dealership is sooooo frustrating. I am tempted to cancel the order and look at something else. So disappointing. Not sure if this is an issue with just this dealership or Hyundai in general.

Wildeyed likes this.
  10. It's both. And sadly, it's typical.

11. malevy

malevy New Member

I'm from the lower mainland in BC. Ordered early Nov/19 for a preferred trim with deposit to ensure scrap it rebate. (very important $6000 rebate in BC to scrap your old car) No word from the dealership until I inquired in April. They called back twice advising they had ultimate trim available due to cancellation which I turned down. So it seems some cars were being delivered and cancelled perhaps due to covid-19? So during the month of May I would check the various dealerships hoping for a cancellation for a preferred trim that would also provide a scrap it rebate. I know it seemed like a long shot but I did find a couple of cancellations. However the dealerships advised if I wanted a scrap it rebate I would have to pay $3000 more then MSRP so I of course declined. Lucky for me I found another cancellation June 1 at a different dealership with the right trim but different color. Although I did have to pay an extra $750 for a package of mats, tire locks, mud flaps etc I wasn't getting gouged like the other dealerships. After going thru the paperwork and ready to drive away yesterday, I was advised another preferred trim had arrived that was also cancelled. But the cool thing, it was the color that I had ordered. So waited one extra day for them to prepare for delivery and drove away this afternoon. I have no idea how much longer I would be waiting but I'm so happy that I kept looking

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. It pays to do your homework.:)
    What color, maybe post a picture?
    Congratulations and enjoy your new Kona EV

14. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

Congratulations, Malevy! Sad to say in the US, other than the Fed and State rebates, we don't have a scrap it rebate. I am not even sure how long those rebates will last since the Federal and State governments are having budget shortfalls. Funny thing is, the price of a Kona EV has not even gone down, despite a glut of cars.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  15. malevy

malevy New Member

Attached Files:

16. malevy

malevy New Member

Red with the black roof

electriceddy and apu like this.
  17. Excellent choice :) congratulations.

18. That's weird. I ordered mine on June 22, 2019 from Duncan Hyundai and I picked it up in November even though they were telling me January at best. They also said there we were about #45 in the queue when we ordered. The sales guy kept in touch with me even though they didn't know when they would arrive. I wonder if I got a cancellation, but I got exactly what I ordered (Ultimate in Ceramic Blue). Quite a few were delivered in November including a white preferred. I only know this because I see it around town in Cow Bay and it's only one number off on the license plate and we had that plate choice when we insured it.

19. Its like rolling the dice, some have had extremely good luck, but then once in a while this happens:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/taking-pre-orders-in-canada.2537/page-45#post-50543

20. This is true. I wish that Hyundai would figure out the delivery dates. It’s a terrible experience for those who would love to plan their purchase/sale timeline. I was lucky, but I feel for those who have been burned by their experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

21. Julien Raymond

Julien Raymond New Member

I ordered mine in july and i will receive it this week. Almost a year !!

electriceddy likes this.
  22. Well worth the wait, I hope delivery works out for you - congratulations and enjoy.
    It is also customary on this forum to post a picture once you receive it :)

23. HydrogenCyanide

HydrogenCyanide New Member

I called my dealer today. He told me that my Kona had in fact been built and that it should be at dealership in St. Catharines, On on July 17th. Trying not to get my hopes too high but there is progress.