Did anyone comfort compare Kona, Tesla(any), other EV's at time of purchase?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by hwitten, May 30, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. By comfort compare I mean ease of entry/exit, comfort for long trips, etc.

My 'research' was rather limited when I purchased my '20 Ultimate.
    At the time choice/decision was mostly price and availability driven,
    along with usability/suitability for an old fart.

While the Kona is not quite as comfortable as my '18 Volvo XC60 it is certainly very acceptable. So acceptable in fact that the Volvo will only be used when trailer towing, if/when we ever get to do that again :)

Now, with nothing better to do, I'm wondering what folks did that had more time to decide and wether you are you still happy with your decision?

The only way my Kona could be better for me is if I could tow my 2000 pound trailer with it, legally :)

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. It was time for more range, and after I drove my friends Bolt for about 15 minutes ( with the side bolsters digging into my thighs) it was obvious Kona had a more comfortable seat.
    All that was available at the time was the ICE version to test drive and I assumed they would keep the same seats in the EV so I went ahead and pre-ordered.
    I am sure Tesla M3 would have offered more comfort however I needed a hatch so that took priority.
    If faced with the same decision today with the availability of model Y, it would probably be convincing enough to spend the extra $ but I will add I am extremely satisfied with my purchase of Blueberry (2019 Kona EV)

4. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I had to decide between the Model 3 and the Kona. I was 95% sure that I was going to get the Model 3 as at that point, I did not know about the Kona. So, initially, it was between the Model 3 and the Bolt and I was leaning very much towards the Model 3. However, just about when I was ready to pull the trigger on the Model 3, I found out about the Kona. It's not available in my state, so, there was no advertising for it etc.
    The main reason for going with the Kona was the LIFETIME battery warranty of the 2019 Kona Electric (2019 Model, USA only). The price also was a factor but the battery warranty was the bigger factor. I would still have gone with the Model 3 if it wasn't for the warranty of the Kona battery. I was planning to keep whatever car I'd buy for many years, so the warranty was a huge plus. Of course, Price was a factor too. A standard range plus M3 would have cost me about $10k more than the Kona SEL and the range difference that the EPA numbers indicate is much larger than the numbers show. The Kona usually gets more than it's rated range and the Standard Range Plus Model 3 usually gets less than it's rated range. In real life range tests, the Kona beats the Standard Range Plus BY A LOT!!
    Now, the Model 3 is a more premium car.. The experience is so much better than any other EV in the price range and it has the flash factor that the Kona does not have. If you want the best value and range for the money, the Kona wins hands down. If you want the car that is more fun to drive, feels more premium and a status symbol, go with a Model 3. The Model 3 in any of the trim levels is a FANTASTIC vehicle. However, if you want good range, you'll need to go with the long range. Tesla no longer has the tax credit, so the price difference to the KONA SEL which almost gets the same range of a Model 3 Long Range is about $20k. That's not a small amount. It really comes down what you want.. More luxury or the car that has the best value and will save you the most money. The Kona is the choice is you want to save the maximum on gas with the lowest maintenance cost. The Model 3 saves you a ton and looks fantastic but it comes at a higher price.. Do you want to buy the car that meets your needs or one that is the most fun and looks better.. It wasn't an easy choice for me but I love my Kona. It's a regular car that happens to be electric, making the transition from ICE to EV easier.. My next vehicle will most likely be a Tesla, probably the Cybertruck..

5. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

For reasons I won't go into now, I never considered a Tesla and never would. But I did look pretty closely at the Bolt and Leaf in addition to the Kona. In terms of comfort and general interior quality, the Kona definitely seemed superior to the Bolt. The eaf seemed nice inside, but I didn't much care for the way it drove, so that took it off the list. I'll say that my perceptions might have been slightly skewed because my last car was a 2013 Honda CR-Z -- small, sporty and fun, but definitely not designed with comfort as top priority -- so any of the three EV's I considered would have been an improvement. But I was definitely put off by the Bolt's interior, which struck me as cheap and toy-like. After about 600 miles, the Kona's seats seem like possibly the best of any car I've owned -- but I've never had the privilege of owning a Volvo, whose cars are renowned for their excellent seatig.

6. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

My previous car was a Volvo, and yes their seats are comfortable. When I first sat in the Kona, it just felt "right".

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. My sister has a Bolt, so I had the opportunity to experience it before even considering an EV and it was the sole reason I considered going electric. My Subaru was too big for my commute and I was spending about $400/mo on gas. It was also 8 years old, and was starting to get expensive maintenance-wise. I had the opportunity to sit in a Tesla but only after ordering my Kona.

I was lucky enough to be able to drive a Kona Ultimate before ordering, and in comparison to the Bolt, I felt it had a more premium finish and felt more like a "normal" car in the interior. The Bolt did seem a little toy-like to me as far as finish and I didn't find the seats as comfortable. The Tesla was comfortable, and pretty slick inside, but it felt really minimalist and cold to me, even though it was beautiful. I didn't like having to control everything on a screen. It was also somewhat out of my price range, though I could have carried on for a few more months saving for it if I really wanted to.

So I ended up buying a Kona Ultimate, which fed my tech geek appetite but also gave me a nice comfortable, though somewhat conventional, interior. Plus, it's a blast to drive!

9. Since the Kona was the only long range EV available in NZ mid-2018 for under the cost of a Model S at $140k, I had no other options. The Bolt has never been sold here as we need RHD. Now that the Model 3 is available (sans heat pump) at the same price, I'm still happy with my choice because the heat pump is an awesome feature, removing any fear of losing significant range for the sake of comfort. Additionally I think the Kona has better production quality control. Fit and finish issues with the Model 3 would irritate me endlessly, nevermind that the nearest service centre is at least 300 km away. My Hyundai dealer is a 10 min walk and they are trained to work on the Kona. Tesla Supercharging is a significant feature for the m3 but the nearest one is 150 km away.
    2_konas charging.jpeg

10. FloridaSun

Got to agree on the Kona seats.. They are indeed very good and comfortable..

11. My Volt died last August, and several months of the fall were spent slowly moving through a CA lemon law repurchase, so I had loads of time to compare.

I didn't find seat comfort and entry an issue on any of the cars I considered.

I ruled out the Tesla because of the dull handling. I live on a twisty road and there was no road feel at all - it just went where pointed. I also had similar reactions to Kathryne. I had driven a Bolt a couple of times, but no adaptive cruise control was a deal breaker.

I drove the Kona, Niro and Leaf multiple times, and at one time or another was almost sure it was going to be each of them. I almost bought a Leaf because of the size and technology features, particularly 360 degree camera. But the car overall is dated, and when I found out there was no telescoping steering wheel adjustment on a $40k+ car, that was the last straw.

I wanted to get the Niro, but every time I drove it the steering effort was just a tad too much for my comfort.

The Kona was by far the most fun to drive, and had the best technology (except for no front proximity warning - boo). The cargo space is limited but it fits into small parking spots, so size is a wash. But I was put off by markups over MSRP, and the first dealer I called didn't want to give a test drive without a signed contract! Eventually I did get a test drive elsewhere, but it was on a bit of a bumpy road and I didn't think my wife would put up with the ride.

After focusing on the drawbacks of the Niro and leaf, I went back and drove a Kona on the same road with her, and it wasn't much of an issue for either of us. So I got the Kona and am very happy with the choice, despite a number of glitches.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Bruce M.

Wow, they didn't want to give you a test drive without a signed contract? I didn't run into that problem, mercifully (my response would not have been polite), just dealers getting every last cent from you they could and knowing they could get away with it with the cars in short supply.

14. Ventilation makes them even more comfortable;)
    Additionally the sunroof is a feature you can't get w Tesla M3 or Y as you must upgrade to the S model , a feature I utilize year round.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    SkookumPete likes this.
  15. My timing to acquire the Kona was almost by accident. I kept tabs on EV's somewhat, ever since trying a Volt when they first came out. The uncomfortable narrow seats nixed that as soon as my wife sat in it :)
    We eventually ended up with a couple of Hyundai SantaFe's until we ended up with the ICE Volvo.
    It wasn't until Volvo announced the XC40 BEV that interest peaked once again for an EV. Unfortunately the actual release date was very uncertain and by now, I wanted to experience an EV while I was still able to enjoy driving. Getting on in years :)
    Most of the initial research was done online.
    We were happy with the SantaFe seats so Hyundai had a bit of an edge and once I saw the specs on the Ultimate I started calling around for availability. That's when I found out there were none to be had :)
    I got a chance to sit in one briefly and eventually even got a test drive in one. I was fired up to get one... Now.
    I turned one up at the local dealership but they were greedy and want to up-charge. That was a no-go for me, just on principle. I had resigned myself for it not to be my time for a Kona when they came back with an offer that was even slightly less than I expected so I jumped at it. Still don't have the missing/back-ordered floor mats but $15 bucks at a big Box store solved that for the interim. 5700+ kilometres later... love my Kona.
    Not perfect, but real close. What would make it more perfect? 360 degree camera and 2500 lb tow capacity.

Thank you for chiming in.

electriceddy likes this.
  16. I'm in Langley, too, Murrayville. Got mine on May 1, 2019, timed with the fed subsidy. They were sold out after that. I got a good trade-in on my Prius, so was happy with that, too. Have a hitch for my bike carrier, but don't think I will ever tow anything. Have another SUV for that. At 19,000 kms right now, would be a bit more if it wasn't for this virus. Still have never paid for a charge, or done one in my garage.

17. In retrospect, another piece of luck was that I was able to latch on to a MY2020. Love the bigger screen. Since I don't do any commuting all my charging is at home. Usually to 80%. Tried PetroCan before they started to charge, just to make sure DC charging was working :)
    Looking forward to longer BC road trips once allowed.

18. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I did a lot of research before my purchase of the 2020 Ultimate. I had a working spreadsheet for about 3 weeks. We went to the SF AUTO CAR Show in November - just to see what was available in all-Electric cars. At the time I knew nothing about the KONO ... it was always Tesla Tesla Tesla .. (There are a LOT of the Tesla S90's & X's in our area ... but out the door at over $100k was NOT in the cards for us for a S90.) At the car show, we sat in the BOLT, the Audi (expensive), The LEAF, the NIRO, and the Kona Ultimate. Tesla didn't even have a Model 3 to sit in at the show! hmmph.. Frankly, I really don't like the "dashboard experience" in the Model 3's.

Anyway, after a bunch of research at home on what was available & what we saw, the KONA ULTIMATE was THE EV of choice based on Warranty, a LOT of very cool Features, Comfort (after a test drive), Battery Capacity/Mileage, and Torque .... and Price. (Other than the TESLA (out the door w features we wanted was close to $60k !), all of the other EV's were in the general ball park in price - give or take a few $$). It (Kona) just has a better (less cheap) feel and really a nice handling/drive, imo.

Very VERY happy with our choice and would do it all over again. I just wish Hyundai had kept the life-time Warranty on the Batteries. They changed that to 10 years in model year 2020. But still a decent warranty. But the BLUELINK Service is expensive at $30/mo after the "included period" and we will likely not renew it. The remote features are so buggy & the developers don't seem to listen to the customers. Frankly, it should just be included with the vehicle at no add'l charge. But that's another topic.

Enjoy !!!!

19. My main comparison was with my son's Tesla M3 RWD Long Range. I drove it a few times and rode with him often. I was surprised how plain jane the interior was. A top trim Corolla has a more luxurious interior. Lacked a lot of options that the Kona has. IE, no Android Auto or CarPlay, no ventilated seats, no HUD (which I have grown to really appreciate on my Kona), very low to the ground and exit/entry not easy (my head always bumps the top sill), and lots of other stuff. Range is about the same as my Kona. Power is more in the Tesla, but my Kona is certainly no slouch.

Anyway, it was actually my son that recommended I look at the Kona (was not available when he ordered his M3). And when I did, was surprised how nice it was (Ultimate trim) and feature rich.

20. I actually had an order in for the 2019 Leaf Plus for about 6 months before cancelling it. I didn't know about the Kona at the time of the order, and after finding out about it and the Niro I was getting very paranoid about the lack of active battery temperature management in the Leaf. We went with the Kona because of the looks and the slightly longer range. I still occasionally wonder if I should have gone for the Niro for the slightly larger back seat and storage and the memory seats. Our Kona should be here any day now and I can't wait!

21. I was never able to even see let alone test a Kona EV when I ordered back in summer '18. I sat in a gas Kona and was very happy with the fit and finish. I tested the Bolt while getting frustrated with waiting for my Kona delivery. I loved it. Instantly comfortable seating position and very roomy. I was *this* close to saying to hell with waiting and buying it off the lot. But its lack of higher end equipment swayed me and I waited. I still believe I could have been very happy with the Bolt and am looking forward to seeing the reworked version in '21.

22. FloridaSun

My SEL only has heated seats, not ventilated... I don't need the heated seats here in Florida..

23. Bruce M.

In San Francisco I may use the heated seats occasionally, but ventilated seats would be profoundly irrelevant here in the Land of Fog.