Winter tires?

Discussion in 'Honda' started by NewYorker, Jan 20, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I bought my plug-in Clarity last fall - so far pleased with it. I live in Connecticut, so winter driving is important. Should I get snow tires, or are the "all-weather" tires that came on the car adequate?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

The Michelin Energy-Saver tires on them now are "all-season", not "all-weather". They are better than summer tires in the winter but still much worse than winter tires. All-weather tires are a relatively new category of tires that actually do well on snow and ice and also do well in other seasons. One well tested tire is the Michelin CrossClimate+. They are rather expensive but will outperform the OEM under all conditions but do worse in fuel economy. Because they grip better than the OEM tires, you'll lose range and HV mileage. The other advantage is you'll not need to have an extra set of tires that you'll have to store and swap twice a year. If you're not a DIY type of person, the extra cost will add up quickly and exceed the difference in price for the CrossClimate+ tires. If you live in very cold and snowy conditions, swapping to bona fide winter tires is recommended always.

4. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Active Member

I recommend either Nokian Hakka R3 winter tires, or Michelin X-Ice 3's. Both are excellent winter tires, and both are low rolling resistance, so you can get the best range possible.

5. Pa-clarity

Pa-clarity New Member

Nokia Hakka R3’s have worked well for me on icy and snow covered roads. I recommend rather for the Clarity also.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

NeilBlanchard likes this.
  6. Dante

Dante Member

Looks like the winter is teetering out... may I suggest saving some cash during the warmer months and investing in a set of wheels with good snow tires. Assuming you can store them for free (like in a shed or garage) and you just swap them yourself at the beginning of each season, it may pay off in the long run.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. dGarry48

dGarry48 Member

Get either of this as winter tires! Way better to have another set for winter tires and summer tires as it saves you in the long run.

9. ralfalfa

ralfalfa Member

Just got done with a winter (NE Ohio; we had three inches of snow on the ground on 31 March) using Bridgestone Blizzaks in the stock Clarity tire size (not the 17-inch size some prefer). They were awesomely good. I can honestly say that the Clarity with these tires handled better in the snow than any of the small SUV's I've had (several subarus and toyotas).

There are several other discussions on this topic in the forum and lots of other opinions- enjoy!

10. lars36

lars36 New Member

Consumer Reports rates Cooper Discoverer True North #1. My daughter used them in North West N.J.
    Worked very well for her.

11. Kaktus

Kaktus New Member

I few days ago i purchased some tires with rims on it , and seem to be from an SUV like RAV 4, i have a Honda CRV 2014, so i would like to know if they will fir in my car with the rims of corse, the tire size is 225/65/17 Seems to be the exact number of holes and diameter of cebter bore, thank you guys, PS the rims might be from another csr for sure i am not sure...

Attached Files:

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Kaktus

Kaktus New Member

And from what car they are?