Winter driving

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Julie, May 8, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Julie

Julie New Member

Has anyone experienced the Kona in Ontario winter conditions? How does it handle?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Several of us got our cars in the depths of the February winter. I found the car handled fine. I, of course, had winter tires installed before delivery. I wouldn't drive on the supplied tires in Ontario winters. The car handles very much like a normal front wheel drive car, albeit with tremendous torque and the potential for spinning. A light touch is required in slippery conditions and some practice with the weight and understeer will make you more confident.

electriceddy likes this.
  4. Julie

Julie New Member

I was asking about winter because We are trying to decide between the kona electric and a Subaru forester AWD. The car will be for our 17yr old daughter and we are worried about the winter driving.

5. brulaz

brulaz Active Member

Winter tires are your friend. They actually help you stop.
    AWD doesn't help you stop, it just helps you get going in snow or mud.
    Stopping is more important.

But be aware that an electric vehicle can lose 25-50% of its range in the winter depending upon temperatures.

Julie likes this.
  6. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

For a 17 year old in an Ontario winter, go with the Subaru AWD. We have lived through Ontario winters and I drove in Ontario when first married at the age of 18. The more traction the better when you have a teen aged brain. There is a big learning curve with the front wheel drive and it could work if she is a very mature methodical thinker who doesn't get caught up in doing the silly things that the young drivers often do. She would have to be attune to driving modes, battery level, etc. The Sabaru Forester is a great car with great safety record.

Jolee and Julie like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. powderman

powderman New Member

Range and cabin heat in winter
    At these temperatures below:
    Is the cabin heat adequate in winter for a middle aged person with a tendency for cold feet?
    And how much range is lost in winter with full winter tires and cabin heat on?
    at -5 C.
    at -10
    at -15
    at -20
    Any info would be appreciated as I am considering buying a Kona EV for life in Quebec!

Wildeyed likes this.
  9. GOM range in cold winter with adequate heat was 350+km. Range in summer heat wth adequate AC has been 500-km.
    This winter, my first with the car, was -30°C a lot. It was a pretty good trial by fire - or ice in this case.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  10. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

How far will you be driving daily? If it is long distances, and you keep the heat cranked up to keep your feet warm then the range may not be good enough during the harshest low temp days. Depends on range driven plus the low temps. Very low temps use a lot of battery. Some do estimate at least a third of range is lost in very cold conditions.

11. note: duplicate post :
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/ev-range-highs-and-lows.5364/page-12#post-72112

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. brulaz

brulaz Active Member

I can't find his post, but earlier TorontoKona said that at -20C he drove 120km, stopped for 2 hours without plugging in, then returned 120km and had 80 km left on the GOM. Presume he started at 100% charge and with a pre-warmed car. That's pretty impressive, 320km total at -20C is only 1/4 less range than the EPA's 415km.

14. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

the forester is a bigger car than the kona.
    the Kona is more like a crosstrek.

why are you trying to decide between such different vehicles? One is an electric compact CUV while the other is a gas AWD medium-sized SUV.

if you are considering the Kona for the fuel savings, then take a look at some hybrids to. the toyota RAV4 hybrid gets good fuel economy for an SUV, but it's also much larger than the Kona (probably a bit larger than the forrester).

the Kona is a great city car and will handle fine with good winter tires. it shouldn't handle any worse than any other FWD car.

where exactly are you located in ontario? there's a huge difference between toronto and thunder bay...