Why does InsideEVs keep getting it wrong?

Discussion in 'General' started by marshall, May 9, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Today they state that the Niro EV is only available in CARB states. This is not true.

Neither Georgia or Texas are CARB states, yet both states have either got deliveries of the Niro EV or have them in transit.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/searchresults.action?sourceContext=usedPaidSearchNoZip&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c28933&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&zip=98406&distance=50000&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I can only relate what happened with the Prius Prime outside of the CARB states.

Initially there where two Pimes in Decatur and I test drove one. The next day, it was sold.

To get mine, I bought it in Rhode Island and drove it 1,200 miles back to Alabama. This is not the first time Southeast Toyota region has blocked sales of efficient Toyota models.

My lesson learned is sale of individual cars may hide corporate policies to limit and even block resupply after sales much less sustaining dealer inventory.

Bob Wilson

4. marshall

Washington state is a CARB state, but not a ZEV state. Toyota wouldn't provide any dealers here with a Prime when they first came out. If you wanted one, you either went to Oregon, which just had a handful on-hand, or California.

5. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

What does that mean? I don't understand the difference. I thought the two terms were interchangeable.

6. marshall

ZEV is a section of the CARB standards, as such Washington state never adopted the ZEV section in to law. So a state can follow most of the CARB standards for vehicles (aka a CARB state) and not be a ZEV state.

See https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=70.120A.010

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Cypress likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, Marshall. I thought being a CARB State was an all-or-nothing thing, I didn't realize States were picking and choosing parts of the CARB standards but not others.
    :(

9. Cypress

Cypress Active Member

PNW
    WA had a split legislature (Dems\Rep) when they voted on adopting the CARB standards. Republicans would not vote yes with the ZEV mandate included. And they forced Dems to stop smog testing ICE cars after 2019.

10. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

Here is a good write up on CARB, ZEV and SMILE states. It explains the difference.

What are CARB states, ZEV states and 'smile' states? Autoweek explains

https://autoweek.com/article/green-cars/autoweek-explains-carb-states-zev-states-smile-states

.......For example, the Kia Niro EV I just drove is only for sale in ZEV states; Michigan is NOT a ZEV state, so if you want one here in Michigan, you’re out of luck. More about ZEV in a moment.

Let’s start with CARB states. CARB stands for California Air Resources Board, a statewide “clean air agency” that enforces even stricter emissions laws than the federal Environmental Protection Agency. ........ California is the only state permitted to issue emission standards subject to a waiver from the EPA.

Other states can and have joined CARB, including Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington state and Washington D.C. Basically, their emissions standards are stricter than federal requirements,

ZEV states are a little different, though there is frequently some overlap. ZEV means "zero emissions vehicle," and the ZEV states are the ones that have regulations requiring automakers to sell a certain volume of electric cars and trucks. CARB manages the ZEV program, which has now been adopted by Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island and Vermont.

The program gives each automaker ZEV credits, and they are required to maintain them equal to a percentage of nonelectric vehicle sales. Each car sold earns credits based on the type of ZEV and its battery range. For example, in 2018 automakers needed about 2.5 percent of sales to be ZEVs; it goes up to 8 percent in 2025.

Plug-in hybrids count only account for 55 percent of those; battery electric vehicles and fuel cells must account for the remaining 45 percent.
    "Smile" states are a different story. ..........
    In automotive terms, these states are where car companies can sell a lot of rear-wheel-drive cars, convertibles, etc. These states have around 300 days of sun and warm weather, meaning your 4Matics, SH-AWDs, xDrives and 4Motions aren’t really needed.

Cypress, Roy_H and Domenick like this.