Which VIN numbers are upgradable

Discussion in 'Model X' started by DSK, Oct 8, 2017.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. DSK

DSK New Member

Hi!

I had an interesting conversation with my Tesla Service department that apparently told me that some of the Model X P90D is upgradable to P100D by Tesla themselves. However before they were able to quote me, they told me that mine is not eligible because of my VIN.
    Does anyone know the range of VIN numbers which are eligible for such upgrade?
    And if someone knows the price, that would be awesome too :)

Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I can't speak to the VIN range, but I did find an article that talks about this upgrade -- essentially a battery swap out and is not cheap at $20,000. I suspect it might be cheaper just to trade in what you have for a CPO of what you want.

4. DSK

DSK New Member

Thanks! Considering the price difference between P90D and P100D, $20K might not be a bad upgrade. But that's what they suggested (CPO), but because my VIN was not in an "upgradable" range. So I am curious if someone faced this similar situation.

5. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Discussion here:
    https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/p100dl-upgrade-p90d

Discussion here:
    https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/p90d-%E2%86%92-p100d-upgrade.82897/

I certainly am not qualified to speak to any of these very specialized issues. But I wonder if there is some confusion. What I'm reading on these forums (maybe true, perhaps not) is that you must first upgrade to the Ludicrous option, and then once you've done that, the car can be upgraded from P90D to P100D (the underline indicates "Ludicrous" option). No mention in these discussions about VIN number, which in Tesla's records would indicate the date of manufacture.

Of course I don't know if that applies to your specific case, but you might want to ask your Tesla contact that specific question.

6. DSK

DSK New Member

Yes, Tesla confirmed to me that the VIN tells them whether I had Ludacris upgrade from factory or not, and because I don't have it, I cannot be offered an upgrade to P100D. This is according to Tesla in Davie, FL service department.

7. To remove this ad click here.