Which type of car has lowest emissions, from source to miles driven

Discussion in 'General' started by R P, Dec 15, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Electric is best, of course, but some interesting stats through the chain. If you just want the bottom line stats, skip to minute 13.

Having said that, it does not take into account the manufacturing process of EV batteries, which also has a considerable environmental impact. Wish he would have included that somehow.

Sailorman likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Guess I don't care since I reach the speed limit before everyone else at a stop light ... with both cars. Certainly Engineering Explained does a good job.

Another favorite source, Union of Concerned Scientists: https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/state-electric-vehicle-benefits

State Electric Vehicle Benefits
    Published Apr 8, 2019

The total global warming emissions from EVs—including manufacturing, driving, and disposal—are about half the emissions of a comparable gasoline car over its lifetime. As more EVs hit the road, the nation will consume less oil, which could help alleviate pollution-related health problems caused by burning gasoline and diesel fuel.

UCS analyzed these benefits state-by-state and found that:

• Electric vehicles are cheaper than gasoline-powered cars to fuel and drive.
    • Leadership on vehicle electrification is critical to tackling climate change and protecting consumers from volatile oil prices.
    • Rural EV drivers can save the most on fuel by switching from gasoline to electricity, and interest in EVs is quickly growing in the U.S. and around the world.
    . . . view the benefits for each state.

Bob Wilson

4. Should get the renewables % higher to save more on emissions. Not sure if the US has more hydro power potential, but probably too late to try and harness more of that. In BC, we are near 100% from hydro, so we are about as green as you can get. Some other parts of Canada also have a lot of hydro power.

As a home owner, would also like to install solar panels, but at the moment have not been able to make a financial case for that, as I did with buying an EV.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

6. [​IMG]
    I have become a bit skeptical of all the battery cost predictions I have seen over the last 5 years. I bought my first e-bike batteries 4 years ago, and just checked the price of those same batteries from the same source. The cost has actually gone up!! I paid $475 for a 702 Wh 18650 pack, which now costs $495. Luckily mine have shown little to no degradation, so should still be good for a very long time.

Having said that, have to believe that car battery costs have to keep coming down. But probably not as fast as everyone is saying today.

7. To remove this ad click here.