What does the Roadster option package have that "takes it to next level?"

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Domenick, Nov 20, 2017.

To remove this ad click here.

1. New Tesla Roadster To Get “Special Option Package That Takes It To Next Level”

Elon tweeted that the Roadster will have an option package that takes it to the next level. Since the Roadster is said to conservatively do 0-to-60 in 1.9 seconds and have a range of 620 miles, you gotta wonder, what next level to that? The tweet caused some commentator's minds to be blown car out of their heads (see reaction tweet below)

Seriously though, with numbers like the base model is said to have, what could possibly be an improvement?

Musk next level tweet.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Just to add to his original cryptic tweet, Musk teases about flying ability.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this won't be a flying car, per se. Certainly rocket thrusters probably wouldn't be feasible. Or safe. Soooo what, then?

Musk tweet too.jpg

4. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Infinite Improbability drive, of course. And that "absolute black", completely light-absorbing, truly flat black finish on that starship in The Restaurant at the End of the Universe; Jay Cole would love that! :D

[​IMG]

And a picture of the absolute black ship:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Cypress and Domenick like this.
  5. PureDigital

PureDigital New Member

I posted this response in the Roadster vs. Chiron article comments. The following seems unbelievable but if his torque information is true these are realistic numbers I think the following is credible. It was in responce to a post that mentions the recent Agera RS production car of 284.55 mph world land speed record for a production car and how the poster did not believe any Tesla would aproach thoses numbers for a long time. This was my respose.

Elon gave a very important hint at the real power of the new roadster. He said It had 10,000 Newton meters of torque, thats 7,375 foot pounds of torque, almost 6 times the torque of the Agera RS. For those electric motors to produce that kind of torque, the motors have to be producing at least 3000 hp and probaly more than that, almost 3 times the horsepower the Agera RS. If Elons claim is true, and I have no reason to believe it is not, I would guess the special upgrade packages for the new roadster will be special wheels and slicks and aero for drag raceing and special aero and track tires for high track speed runs. The numbers Elon gave that were world record breakers at the unveiling were from the base model with street tires. My educated guess is that the new roadster is ultimatly capable of top fuel dragster times in the quarter and top speed in excess of 325 mph. The Agera no matter what they come out with between now and when the Roadster starts delivering will stand no chance. The roadster will clean the ageras clock and eat its lunch and laugh at it in it reaview mirror. When Elon is done the ICE age is over.

In addition, in several of the test ride videos from Thursday night, even with the traction control technology Tesla employs to maintain grip, the Roadster was haveing trouble taming the wheel spin. That tells me there is a lot more grip to be had and the demo was ruber coeficient of friction limited, not power limited by its street tires. Elon wanted to show the world his roadster could take all production cars in history in acceleration and do it on street tires. He purposely gave a high top speed of 250+ to show there is at least 1000 hp on tap but not the ultimate top speed. He is saveing that for his ultimate surprise of quicker and faster than any production gas car ever, taking the land speed record in the process. He may perhaps also have his eye on being quicker than custom funny cars and perhaps more. If the torque and horsepower ratio is at all similar to the Model S the new roadster could have 7000 hp. As long as it can put the power to the ground and the battery tech he is useing can handle amps that would be the whole 200 kwh in 2 minutes but for a drag race he would need 4 to 5 seconds and that would only drain the battery 5% for the run. Or if it takes 2000 hp to maintain the 325mph speed after accelerating to speed it could go for 8 minutes at that speed on the 200 kWh battery.

6. Cypress

Cypress Active Member

PNW
    A roof valet that will remove the top for you and store it in the trunk, then shadow drive behind you (in a roadster) as a convoy, to get out and put the roof back on in case of rain.

Domenick likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Its an auto park feature in the Auto pilot software. You push a button and it keeps going to the "next level" of the parking lot until it finds a space.

9. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Discussion of this in response to one of the InsideEVs news articles said that the very high torque reported for the Roadster Mk II is torque at the wheel, not motor torque.

So we can't usefully compare that torque number to motor torque of other cars.
    -

galderdi likes this.