Wall Boxes

Discussion in 'General' started by Clamps, Jul 6, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. For our forthcoming EV I want to install a wall box with charge cord so I don't have to take the plug in and out of the car as I do currently for my Smart EV. I only know of the brand Clipper Creek. Are there other types out there I should know of? What should I look for in a wall box charging cord? Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. There are many different EVSE ( commonly referred to as chargers )available. Clipper creek , Juice Box, Charge Point, Muststart, Amazing-e, Zencar just to name a few. Haven't seen any complaints except for Aeroviernment and thats just one particular unit. I have an older GE unit very nice but no longer available. I have a friend with a Mustart and he is happy with his. Lots of different options from bare bone to adjustable current, dual voltage (115/240) WiFi connected. I would look for one that is UL listed but other than that pick your price range and pick your features and I am sure you will find a number of option. Most people go for a 40 amp with a RV plug Nema 14-50 but there are other option that fit dryer pugs or even a 15 amp 240 volt plug. You can search amazon for EVSE and you will see number of options. My unit is a 32 amp with settings for 12, 16, ,24 and 32 amp corresponding to the following out lets 15, 20 30 and 40 amps. I vary the amps for how fast i want to charge the Kona. I don't have WIFI on the EVSE but I am fine with that. Some like to have it is a personal choice.

4. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I use one of the cheapest 32 amp EVSE's (Mustart) and it works PERFECT!! I don't need a WIFI enabled EVSE as I can get statistics on the EVSE itself as also via the car/bluelink..

5. I don't know if it matters in regards to the EVSE but yesterday I purchased a Kona. For whatever it's worth are there minimum specs I should look at to make sure I get the best home charging efficiency?

6. Usually 240 volt is more efficient at charging than 120 volt. Other than that I don't think it matters . Also note that the EVSE that came with the car will charge on both 120 v and 240 volt. The same charger is used in Europe with 240 volt (and a different label). It is limited to 12 amps but at 240 volts it will charge the Kona overnight ( 12hr) from 30% to 80%. I can charge in 5 hours with the 32 amp setting. Lately though I have started to just use the 12 amp setting and let it charge over night. So if you have any 240 volt plugs available you can just make or get an adapter plug and for the time being you won't need another EVSE. This will give you time to research and decide whats best for you in a 40 or 50 amp EVSE. Just a note the max amp for continuous operation on a circuit is 80% of the circuit rating. So a 50 amp circuit is good for a 40 amp EVSE

Clamps and R P like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Thank you for the reply. I'm in the process of upgrading our home to 200 amp service. During the upgrade the electrician will also install the EVSE. My main goal is convenience, meaning I don't want to take the plug and cable in and out of the car. I simply want a wall unit that I can grab and plug in.

9. I keep my portable EVSE plugged into my 14-50 wall receptacle at home, doesn't take any power just sitting there. But I can also turn off the breaker if I know I am not going to use it for a while (which for me is always for now). However, if I go on a long trip, I can take it along as it gives me a lot more charging options, especially off the beaten path.

Clamps likes this.
  10. I agree with you about not taking the EVSE in and out of the car. Mine mostly just hangs on the wall but I have taken it with me on long road trips and used it to charge at my brothers and my kid houses using there dryer outlets (and an adapter). As you start to realize the range that the Kona has is amenable to the occasional long road trip a portable EVSE is a nice option. Of course there are the fast chargers and destination changers so this is less important than it was a few years ago and the infrastructure is only going to improve with time

Clamps likes this.
  11. I think I've settle on a Clipper Creek model. Last question, if what I've read is accurate then I need no more than a 32amp box to take care of the Kona. Is there any merit in getting a higher amp box for future cars? Or is there any reason the Kona wouldn't work well with a higher amp wall box?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. For a 32 amp EVSE you need a minimum of a 40 amp box. There is no problem going larger. Most people put in a 50 amp box (circuit)and plug to allow for future expansion. It is possible to go as large as 100 amps for hard wire if you we planing on a model s or Porsche Taycan, but really not nesccasary. I have a 40 amp box but usually charge at 12 amps which get me a good charge over night (12 hours)

Domenick and Clamps like this.
  14. Thank you, Fastnf. Do you charge it slower due to battery degradation/maintenance?

15. No actually I charge slower because I see no need to load a circuit up to the limit if I don't need to. It is perfectly safe to do it but the lower currents heat the wires less and generally put less stress on the circuit. A continuous 32 amps for 5 or 6 hours is more load than any other circuit in the house probably will see. Stoves A/c units and dryers tend to cycle on and off and generally for shorter period of time in the case of stoves and dryers. So the circuit gets rest period. Charging is continuous so I just run it a lower amps if I don't need the charging speed.

Clamps likes this.
  16. The battery puts out hundreds of amps when accelerating or driving up hill so I don't think putting in 32 amps is going to have a negative affect on the battery. DCFC puts a lot more amps in which is why people have some concern about it. A lot of time I see people reference articles but if you check the published dates they are often five and ten years old. Which means the actual research took place before it was published. A lot of the battery technology for EV have improved over the last ten years. That said I usually charge between 25% and 75% unless I am going on a road trip, then I charge to 100% the night before. The 25% lower limit is just because I like a reserve. In My ICE truck the fuel tank doesn't go below 25 % for the same reason. The upper limit is because I don't need any more range than that around town. If I did I would charge more. I charge with solar and have 6 kw so now reason to draw it all into the car at once though I can if I want to.

Domenick and Clamps like this.
  17. Wow! That's good stuff to read Fastnf, I love clarity of thought and this all makes sense. I'm going to see if I can find an EVSE with adjustable amperage (is that the right term), if it exists.

18. Yes you want one with adjustable amperage. Yes they do exist. I have one that GE made that is no longer in production but there are a lot of other brands out there that allow for adjustable amperage. Generally they adjust in 12, 16, 24, and 32 amp settings. These correspond to 80% of normal plugs of 15, 20, 30 , and 40 amp outputs. That allows you to use adapters to plug into lower amp plugs with corresponding amp setting.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

The amp limit is set by wire gauge and cheaper, socket. Go with the largest gauge and you can hand a larger socket and circuit breaker later.

Bob Wilson

electriceddy and Fastnf like this.
  20. After much looking around I bought my EVSE yesterday. Went with a ChargePoint HomeFlex with the NEMA 14-50 plug.

https://www.chargepoint.com/drivers/home/chargepoint-home-flex/

Yes I know it's spendy but I like it's features, and the graphic designer in me likes it's looks. My next biggest problem is getting my electrician to commit to a time for the home upgrade and install.

And just as I was typing about my electrician he sends me an email. Apparently I replied to the wrong email in regards to the job, we had two threads going, one was the estimate and the other was a question and answer (our project is not straightforward). They do not put you in the schedule until you officially agree to the estimate email thread even though I told them to proceed in the QandA thread. Good news, I'm in the schedule now.

bwilson4web likes this.
  21. A tangential question, how long does it take in your area to book an electrician for a job? I’m six weeks out and he claims it will be a three day job. I should note that this includes a 200amp upgrade, new breaker box, adding outlets to garage (currently our two garage door openers are running off an extension cord plugged to a wall outlet), adding the NEMA plug, running the line across garage to furthest bay and installing the EVSE.

I’m not put out on the three days I was just surprised by the six week wait. I do like this electrician. Besides being well reviewed he was the most creative problem solver of the four that came to the house and also the best communicator so I think he’s worth the wait.

22. The three days sounds quite reasonable for the work given. And given the fact that he is probably the best in your area it does not surprise me that he would be six weeks out. Assuming an average job of three days that would mean he has 12 jobs in front of you. He may also have factored in time to get parts as well as leaving room for emergency jobs should they arise. Yes it long on your end but probably goes by quickly on the electricians side.

Clamps likes this.
  23. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Upgrading to 200 A service requires coordination with the power company.

Bob Wilson

electriceddy and Fastnf like this.