Volt for Clarity lovers

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Timothy, Mar 25, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Timothy

Timothy Active Member

I seem to remember from the early days of this forum that there are several Clarity owners who also drive Volts. At the moment (just before Chevy loses the full tax credit) we can get a new 2018 Volt at a very good price.

My question, for those who have a Volt (or are very familiar with its differences from the Clarity), is what will folks who really like their Clarity find to love or hate about the Volt. For example we like that the Volt is a hatchback. We hate (too strong?) that the 2018 Volt will take longer to charge. We have the Touring version of the Clarity and are looking at a base model of the 2018 Volt.

A second question. I believe that as long as the car is new from the dealer, there is no problem that it is a 2018 and not a 2019 in terms of the tax credit. Does that sound right to you all.

Thanks for you help.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

- how cramped and comparatively "cheap"-feeling the Volt interior is
    + slightly more EV range
    + the energy displays are much more detailed and show gas vs electric separately

ken wells likes this.
  4. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

The Volt is sportier than the Clarity but much smaller. The Clarity is more luxurious but its size makes it difficult to park in an urban environment. It doesn't look that big but its dimensions are actually larger than the current Accord. Our Clarity's footprint is bigger than our late model Outback, which is not a small car. The Volt is also a hatchback. It is more of a competitor to the Prius Prime in body size, interior design, and rear hatch. The only reason the Volt is always compared to the Clarity is because they have similar EV range. Other than that, they're very different vehicles.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Gearhead, insightman and ClarityDoc like this.
  5. Thevenin

Thevenin Member

As long as the vehicle is new, it doesn't matter its manufacture year. A 2017 Volt would be eligible, if you could find one still new on the lot.
    Friendly reminder: The $7500 tax credit for GM EVs is slashed to $3750 if you purchase on or after April 1st of this year. I'm guessing you knew that, but no harm in checking.

I don't have any substantial experience with the Volt, but I've picked up the following from the forums:
    + The Volt will stay in EV mode even if you floor it.
    - When the engine runs, forums report the Volt gets lower average highway mileage than the Clarity (38 vs 45 mpg). There are lots of variables, so take that with a grain of salt.
    + If you get the premier trim, you can get the Volt with Surround Vision, which is the top-down camera view. Very cool tech, and I'd get it on the Clarity in a heartbeat.
    = The Volt is 2" narrower, 2" lower, and 13" shorter. Its turning radius is 5% smaller. Objectively, there isn't much difference in size.
    - The Volt uses its passenger space less effectively. It seats five, but only technically.
    - Visibility on the Volt is inferior to the Clarity. Plan on using the cameras to supplement your awareness.

6. Timothy

Timothy Active Member

Yes, we do know about the credit running out on GM (but thanks still, better safe than sorry). The end of the full credit piqued our interest and has likely lead to the current discounts we are seeing. A little more back story. My wife and I both love the Clarity. We have been looking to buy a used EV or maybe even wait for a used Clarity coming off lease as a second car. The current discounts on the base 2018 Volt (if they are real) would be just a little over what we were expecting to pay for used. We did drive the Volt when we bought the Clarity and easily choose the Clarity. These deals (with the full tax credit) would be almost half off of what we paid for our Touring Clarity. I am curious if other Clarity owners would recommend or discourage the Volt as a second cheaper car. I currently have calls into two dealers who appear to have low prices online to see if there OTD price is anywhere near, if not we are fine waiting.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tim66

Tim66 Active Member

Former Volt owne here. I agree with most of the above. The Volt is better at using the EV mode than the Clarity. You don't automatically shift into ICE mode when accelerating rapidly like you do in the Clarity. it also accelerates much more quickly than the Clarity. I surprised quite a few you drivers at stoplights. Also regenerative braking is simpler on the Volt. You just leave it in Low gear and you are always in RB mode, no silly paddles to deal with. One feature on the Volt I would have liked to see on the Clarity: If you unplug the charging cable on the Volt without unlocking the doors the alarm will go off. I loved the Volt and I love the Clarity. The increase in interior size is the biggest plus for me (14 grand kids). I would have ended up with another Volt if the dealers here would have applied the Tax Credit to the lease agreement. They refused to do so. That's when I looked around for another PHEV and the Clairy was the best of the bunch IMO. After buying out the lease I sold the Volt to a friend and they say it is the best car they ever had (longtime Honda and Toyota owners). If interior size is not critical and you can get a great deal I'd say go with the Volt.

Timothy likes this.
  9. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I've seen some 2018 Volt LT's as cheap as $29K in my area. If you get the $7500 tax credit, you're looking at a great deal for a new Volt.

10. Wdave

Wdave Member

Parking the car in an urban environment is not that bad imo, just a bit difficult seeing out of the passenger side to be able to see the curb unfortunately. Worst part about the clarity though is the massive turning radius, I swear I was able to park my old Honda Odyssey easier because of the tighter turning radius in that van .

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Mowcowbell

Future support? You got an entire nationwide network of Chevy dealers that will service the car for the full extent of its factory warranty.

Wdave and Tim66 like this.
  13. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

Had a Gen 1 2012 Volt and cross-shopped the gen 2 2018 before buying a base 2018 Clarity a couple of weeks ago.

Biggest differences are size and cost. The clarity wins hands down on both. I would have to get a loaded volt @ $43000 MSRP to match the features that come standard in the $32,000 base Clarity. The volt is a small car (main reason I got rid of my gen1) with compromised ingress/egress and rear seating. Massive GM and dealer discounts got the volt closer but it was still higher.

Volt wins on hatch design and EV power. The hatch does have a tall lip which require lifting heavy items instead of being able to slid them out. I carry a lot of heavy work equipment sometimes so this was important to me. It's little more torquey and the ICE won't come on if you floor it. The Clarity has more than enough EV oomph for my driving needs and we have two other hatchback's in the family so neither of these pro's were even remotely close enough to being "wins".

FWIW

14. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

I guess you never drove a 1996 Saturn station wagon dinkycar. That car had the turning radius of an 18 wheeler. I don't find the turning radius of the Clarity too bad, the problem is the whole size of the car. Parallel parking is not bad if you use both the rear camera and the side camera.

Wdave likes this.
  15. Timothy

Timothy Active Member

One last question for your collective minds. One dealer was several K above their "web price." But one was 28.3k for the Volt LT out the door. This seems very good to me. After the tax credit it will be just over 20k for a new Volt. Does this sound like a good deal?

By the way the lowest new Clarity price is our area is 33k (and that is not out the door).

16. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

One issue that I had with the Volt was that the base trim doesn't have emergency braking. The fact is that in crazy California highways this is a good thing to have. I had a collision that resulted in total loss of my previous car. I was not distracted or speeding, I was in a merging zone and as I was checking the mirror for lane change the car in front of my braked hard and I couldn't stop on time, it was more of a bad luck than anything. Half a second sooner or later and nothing would have happened. So having this was a priority for me.

Other than that the dash in Volt felt too close and bulky, and the front air dam is too close to the ground. I love the hatch and wish Clarity was a hatchback. Also based on some tests Clarity has better highway EV range, although total EV range is lower.

17. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I consider that thought short-sighted. Although some important components have coverage longer than the basic 36/36, who really knows if GM will offer software updates, reasonably priced parts, trained mechanics, or much in trade-in value after the next 3 years. They have little incentive to do so. Those buying a discontinued vehicle line need to go into the arrangements with their caveat emptor settings on "high".

18. Mowcowbell

I doubt GM is leaving the PHEV market. They'll probably put this technology in a cross-over type vehicle. Something to compete with the Koreans.

19. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

For 20k, I'd say that is a good deal. I bought my 2012 premium Volt new for about 24k after incentives (bought in July 2013 and it had sat on the lot for over a year). Still have it and love it. It has 75k miles and absolutely no problems thus far. I'd drive it cross country without a second thought. As to the comments questioning service available in a few years, I'll be surprised if that is an issue. If you like the car and it fits your needs and your budget, I can't give you a reason not to jump.

20. Timothy

Timothy Active Member

So we now the proud owners of new 2018 Volt LT to go with our Clarity. Having driven the Volt back home for an hour and a half, I can certainly say that the Clarity has a much more luxurious ride. It is hard to image that at list price with similar features the two cars are similarly priced. The main advantages of the Volt seem to be the hatchback, having a mode that is always EV, it is peppier and (for us at this moment) a much cheaper price. The Volt does have some safety features that are not on our Clarity: Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert, and Rear Park Assist. But as it is the LT there is no Adaptive Cruise (which I really missed). I think they will be a good match for us, letting us use almost no gas. The Clarity will be the car for longer drives. Thanks your help.

Oh, do any of you Volt owners have a favorite Volt Forum (our course this is our favorite Clarity forum)?

Pegsie, Robert_Alabama and Mowcowbell like this.
  21. Wdave

Wdave Member

The footprint for the clarity is more or less similar to the van I used to have, just a tad bit more aerodynamic. The clarity is just 7 inches shy of the van, I guess I just miss sitting in a veritable fishbowl of visability even though the visability out of the clarity is much much better than the visability out of my father's 2019 RDX. I swear trying to back up in that car without a camera is like peering through a porthole in the back of that car .

22. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

Congrats!

I've been a member of GM-Volt.com since 2009 but don't frequent or participate much anymore. In it's heyday, it was THE spot for all things Volt and it still has a lot of good folks who know all the ins & outs of both generations. It's archives are immense including tech data from GM insiders. It's a must join site.

Timothy likes this.