Via Motors - Never giving up!

Discussion in 'Chevrolet' started by WadeTyhon, Jan 23, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. WadeTyhon

WadeTyhon Well-Known Member

Having just mocked Via motors a week ago, I noticed that just yesterday they announced a partnership with Geely to produce EREVs for China, Latin America and North America.

I was wondering why the company pretty much went radio silent for 8-10 months. At least they were doing something behind the scenes!

https://www.viamotors.com/press-releases.html

"The parties have agreed to co-develop a medium duty extended range electric truck, which incorporates VIA's industry leading proprietary vehicle software and systems control technology, for launch in China and the Americas in 2019."

"I believe that range extended hybrid drive systems are a leading technology for the next 5-10 years and the co-developed truck will utilize proven technology such as a Volvo engine for the range extender. VIA Motors provides technology plus an engineering and management team that can support GCV to accelerate to be global leading commercial vehicle company and assist the introduction of GCV Trucks into North and Latin America through our newly formed joint venture," continued Mr. Yu.
    "Geely is the ideal strategic partner for VIA Motors, as the fastest growing global vehicle company, with a demonstrated commitment to the electrification of their portfolio of award winning vehicles," commented Bob Lutz, Chairman of VIA Motors and former Vice-Chairman of GM.

I suppose that Geely is the "ideal" strategic partner since they never got a bite from General Motors. :p

I don't see anything here leading me to believe that non-fleet sales are finally coming. But maybe a partnership like this will them expand.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I would guess they've been quiet because they don't need funding or customers at the moment. I'm sure Lutz would mention them from time to time if they needed either of those two things.

If they do open up to non-fleet sales, I suggest you buy one...as a collector's item. :)

WadeTyhon likes this.
  4. WadeTyhon

WadeTyhon Well-Known Member

No offense to Lutz or Via but I think that would be a very bad investment even if they are rare and the company does fold. ;)