Utility mode and dog owners --great tip.

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by CJC, Apr 24, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

On a FB Kona EV group, a dog owner posted this advice that lets us leave our dogs in an air conditioned Kona so that we could pop out of the car to have breakie or go to the washroom. Set up utility mode using your instrument panel selection and have your temperature preferences set up. Take the inner unlocking key out of your key fob, and leave the the rest of the fob in the car, press lock on the door handle and exit your car. He recommends putting up a sign in your car window "air conditioning is on for the dogs!" so that someone doesn't break a window thinking thinking they are in the heat. Being a paranoid dog owner, I would park my Kona with the dogs where I can see it if I went into a cafe/restaurant, and I would likely blast very cool air conditioning for them.

Attached Files:

Kitsilano and Mattsburgh like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Since this post is from a European owner (no blue-link) I believe we should be able to do the same without removing the key, but using the app to lock/unlock the car.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

4. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

I wondered if we could, but couldn't find anything about it on Canada BlueLink. I will wander out to garage and try it and let you know.

I tried utility mode and getting out and locking and unlocking with BlueLink, and it works. However, due to unstability of the BlueLink app, I think I would definitely want to have the second keyfob available in hand in case BlueLink reception is poor or even it could go down. So the end conclusion for me since I'm over protective with my dogs, I think I would choose the taking the inner key out method. Also, if my phone was on the tail end of dying from not charging then it would safer for the dogs to have used the inner key method. But I am older and not so trusting of technology. lol

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  5. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Well If you did that where I live in Victoria you can be assure a broken widow would happen regardless of the air conditioning being on. So it's best to leave the dogs at home on a hot day.

BC-Doc likes this.
  6. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

]Well If you did that where I live in Victoria you can be assure a broken widow would happen regardless of the air conditioning being on. So it's best to leave the dogs at home on a hot day.[/QUOTE]
    20190324_131316(0).jpg

That is why I mentioned putting up a sign "air conditioning is on for the dogs". We travel everywhere with our two and don't leave them home so it will be great starting about this time of year. Granted I will make a large visible sign when I use utility mode.

Domenick likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. fiercely

fiercely Member

so utility mode turns off if you leave the car with the fob?

9. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

It is the reverse. If you take out your manual key from the fob, leave the utility mode running set to a cool temp for the dogs, leave the rest of the fob in the car, and when you exit push the lock button, then the utility mode keeps running. However you can also leave utility on by exiting the car leaving the whole fob in the car (without taking out the manual opening key) and you can use BlueLink to lock and unlock it. Hope that is clear.

eastpole, Mattsburgh and fiercely like this.
  10. MelCdn

MelCdn New Member

The manual isn’t very descriptive about utility mode. I assume from this thread that utility mode will not operate unless the fob is left in the vehicle. I also assume that just activating climate on bluelink (assuming it is behaving itself) from the phone will not use the big battery? Anyone know the answers to these questions.

11. I am sure if you remote start the climate it is the big battery. However, it will turn off automatically after 10 minutes! (It will send you a text/push notification)

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. In this area we have several Drive-in movie theaters still operating, and I love going a couple times each summer. I plan to make good use of Utility Mode and run the A/C and stay comfy while watching films. If it's cool I prefer windows down... except so many people smoke around here if I'm near a smoker it has to be windows up for me. Love that we can run the car and the a/c without any noise or exhaust bothering anyone else.

14. Tonight is my first trek to a drive-in this year, can't wait to use Utility Mode tonight. I'm assuming it'll basically be as if the car is "on" except you can't shift into drive and leave, from what I read in the manual. So basically everything is available, A/C and radio being the most important.

15. I tried it the other day and it kept yelling at me that it's draining the battery and I should switch it into drive mode. Anybody else had that problem?

16. That sucks, how much juice did you have when you started using it? I'm at 100% and will probably still be above 90 by the time I get parked at the drive in. Also, what all were you using, like did you have the a/c on for a long time, or did the warnings start pretty much right away?

17. I waited for my wife in a parking lot to get an appointment done and had AC and radio going. That was it. I don't remember the state of charge. But it kept giving me that message.

18. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I’ve only tried utility mode a couple of times and never had any warnings

19. Just so we're on the same page: utility mode is when you push the start button workout pressing the brake and it turns on but doesn't show you the green car with double arrow underneath it. Correct?

20. Canada Dan

Canada Dan Member

No, it's under Settings -> Utility Mode. This switches to using the big battery. Just pressing the start button without the brake uses the 12V battery.

Kitsilano and Mattsburgh like this.
  21. No you have to select it from the menu using the keys on the right side of the steering wheel. I realized tonight that you weren't in Utility mode when I saw the same message about draining the battery - that only comes up if you're using the regular car battery under the hood like all cars have.

22. What you were using is typically called "Accessory mode" in ICE cars, I'm not sure what Hyundai calls it but it's basically the same thing I think. You use the 12V battery as Canada Dan mentioned. Utility mode is for camping and such, opens up the main battery pack for running everything instead. I used a/c and then heat even to defrost the windshield and with the air running all night I think my GOM mileage dropped about 10 miles in 4 hours. Not bad at all.

eastpole likes this.
  23. Well, that would explain that

Mattsburgh and eastpole like this.