USED PHEV - what to consider re: battery degradation

Discussion in 'General' started by Yanni, Sep 7, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Yanni

Yanni Member

Hi all!

Have been considering a new PHEV, but now maybe thinking that a used one might make more sense.

Since I know nothing about how fast the battery can degrade (and won't have much info on how a former owner used it..charging behavior, etc)...what should I consider when looking at used PHEVs?

I'm guessing that the battery will appreciably degrade at or soon after the warranty ends...(OK so I'm super skeptical!)

Is there a rule of thumb re: how many % charge you lose every year?

AND...how much does the former owners "charging behavior" affect battery life?

ie: in the old days with cell phone batteries your charging behavior meant a lot re: lifetime of battery.

Is that the case with these car batteries?

If they charge when its still got 1/2 left, does it degrade faster?

If they super-charge, how does that affect the battery life?

Should I even care?

Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Based on my experience:
    1. Initially a 5-8% loss in the first year. If bought used, you'll never see this.
    2. Air cooled are heat and cold sensitive. If a moderate climate (i.e., local orange trees), OK but if ranging from freezing to +90F, avoid air cooled.
    There is a lot of FUD about battery life but I have my doubts. Unlike consumer products with next to nothing for battery management, automotive battery management is fairly advanced and conservative.

If there is a make and model you're interested, join one of their advocacy groups and read past postings. Then ask your questions.

Bob Wilson

Yanni likes this.