unresponsive touch screen

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by sassnak, Feb 15, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. sassnak

sassnak New Member

I've had my Clarity for about 3 weeks and all the sudden the touch screen is completely unresponsive. Before I spend hours at the dealer, has anybody run into this before and been able to fix it on their own? I'm wondering if there is a reset or something I can try.

The display is showing everything it is supposed to, the touch function just doesn't work. Which is particularly annoying since I can't load Carplay.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Hold the audio power button for about 10 seconds to reset the system.

ClarityDoc likes this.
  4. sassnak

sassnak New Member

Thanks I will give that a try. Not convinced it will work though since the power button is part of the touch screen - seems like a dumb design decision!

5. sassnak

sassnak New Member

Surprisingly it worked! Thanks!

6. tterag

tterag Member

I have had the same issue, seams to be limited to XMradio. I figured out the touch and hold a couple days ago and it works. Hoping for an OTA update soon.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. tim

tim Member

I also see this periodically. What works for me is to use the steering wheel control to shift up to XM or down to FM and immediately back. For some reason, that restores touchscreen sensitivity.

9. tterag

tterag Member

I tried that too without success. Curious why that works for you and not me.

10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Don't hold your breath waiting for an OTA update. Honda doesn't do OTA updates; you have to take your car to the dealer's service center for software updates. I don't believe there have been any updates to the lame infotainment system so far.

tterag and ClarityDoc like this.
  11. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

I’ve owned more than one Honda with this same dismal tablet in the dash. Just like an obsolete iPhone or laptop that doesn’t have the latest operating system, they just need to be rebooted periodically. Get used to it. About every other month you just sit on that power button to reboot it, and it pukes a bunch of little gremlins out and afterwards it feels better and works faster for a few weeks.

You can do it while driving, it takes less than 2 minutes to reboot, and solves all kids of junk. All Honda owners should just make a habit of it.

Oh...and Honda pretty much NEVER updates them. Not even at the dealer, much less at home like they should. Learned that with my 2016 Civic. The firmware and software was current for 2 years in Honda’s eyes. Yet my iPhone and PC get updates approximately each month or more? Laughable. So expect zero from the company. Just reboot and live with it. When you get tired of it being obsolete, trade the car. It’s the Honda way. Most certainly it is contributing to the fact that the company is consistently falling in both reliability and customer satisfaction surveys in recent years by most every published measuring stick.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. sassnak

sassnak New Member

Not related to XMradio for me, I have never even set that up.

14. sassnak

sassnak New Member

I had tried that first and it didn't work for me.

15. I had the same problem today. The touch screen was unresponsive, but displayed everything correctly. I tried holding the audio power button for a long time, but nothing happened.

I tried this several times after turning the car off and on a few times. I tried connecting my Android phone. No Joy. Then I connected my phone and then started the car. This time magically the touch screen began working! Of course, I don't know if *that's* what caused it to start working, but I'll take it.

At this point, I did reboot the radio and it seems to be OK now.

Interesting!