Unannounced software update?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Rob_v1, May 6, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rob_v1

Rob_v1 Member

This seems unlikely, but I’d like to compare notes. The other day I shut off the car with XM radio playing, and then charged it. The next day, when I turned the car in, XM began playing. That didn’t used to happen. Did it? Thought that was a known bug. Then it rained, and with intermittent wipers selected, the rate seemed to change based on rainfall intensity.

Did Honda just perform an OTA update? I haven’t been to the dealer.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Don’t know about the OTA, Rob.
    But someone posted that they noticed the wipers changed based on vehicle speed which is like my old CRV did.
    Where you slowing down to a stop when you noticed the wipers changing?

4. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

Page 295 in the user manual:
    6. SOFTWARE Updates. The SOFTWARE and SERVICES may be updated when your VEHICLE is serviced by a DEALER or remotely, over-the- air, by HONDA from time to time; such updates may occur with or without further notice or your future consent.

KenG and KentuckyKen like this.
  5. Tangible

Tangible Active Member

I have no problem with the company preserving its legal rights, but if they want to not be jerks they should observe long-understood best practices:

- All updates should be accompanied by release notes

- Updates should not take effect until accepted by the user, at a time of their choosing, with the exception of critical safety and security matters

Anyone who's spent time in the software game knows that new releases often have unintended consequences, even after rigorous testing. That's why there are early adopters, who accept some degree of risk, and more conservative users (drivers) who would rather wait for version n.1 rather than suffer through the quirks of n.0 .

Ken7 likes this.
  6. I think the Satellite radio bug you are referring too has to do with remote climate control, charging and satellite radio.

I’m using satellite radio during the free trial and, as I would expect, it starts when I turn on the car. I did run into the bug once when I used remote climate control on a cold morning.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

I am in the software business. I was just pointing that Honda has the capability to do OTA updates so we don’t have to waste time going to a dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  9. Rob_v1

Rob_v1 Member

I'm concluding there was no update. That line in the manual did make me wonder if it was possible, though.

10. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

We can only hope that Honda corrects some of the software issues including the HV and ICE random starts.

Johnhaydev likes this.
  11. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

For the first time I ran into the XM radio and remote preconditioning bug today

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

Welcome to the club?

Johnhaydev and LegoZ like this.