Unable to shift into drive?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by tim, Jul 20, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. tim

tim Member

I had a scary situation this morning as I pulled out of my driveway in reverse. I've done this many times in the past with no problems, but this morning, I saw a car in the distance approaching me, so I quickly reversed into the street, but when I pushed the drive button, the Clarity beeped a few times and wouldn't move. I kept pushing the drive button, but nothing but beeps. I finally looked down at the shifter panel and saw that the neutral button was lit up. I finally pushed the neutral button, and afterwards I could push the drive button and drive the car.

I might have rushed pushing buttons and my adrenaline was flowing, so I might have confused pushing some of the buttons, but the inability to simply push the drive button and put the car in drive surprised me. Is this the designed behavior? Has anyone else seen this?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I think what may have happened is that in your haste to get going, you got in N by mistake (no problem there) but when you quickly selected drive to make your “just robbed the bank get a way”, you didn’t have your foot on the brake.
    Just tried that scenario and it wouldn’t let me go into D. Try it and see
    Suggest you don’t quit your day job for a life of crime as the get away driver. :)

ClarityDoc likes this.
  4. FlaDave

FlaDave New Member

I think I read that if you switch to drive while the car is still going in reverse, it will put you into neutral and you have to press the brake to get into drive.

ClarityDoc likes this.
  5. ab13

ab13 Active Member

These newer electronic systems won't let you do things how you would in a mechanical system. It is likely programmed to shift only if the car isn't moving and the brake is pressed. In a mechanical system you could, you would just grind parts a little.

I read that new cars won't let you press brake and accelerator atthe same time without disengaging one of them, likely the accelerator.

6. tim

tim Member

Thanks for the explanations. At least I'll know what to do the next time this happens.

7. To remove this ad click here.