UK: Electric cars do 26% more miles a year

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Apr 30, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Source: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/electric-cars-do-26-more-miles-a-year-than-petrol-engine-rivals-gn58735ns?shareToken=d14db12408fb8a49867e955c5f950e8b

Electric cars clock up more miles than petrol models, countering claims that they are environmentally friendly “trophy vehicles”, research has revealed.

A study published today found that drivers of pure battery-powered cars travelled an average of 9,435 miles a year, which was almost 26 per cent higher than the distance covered by petrol vehicles.

The research by the RAC Foundation also found that cars built by Tesla, the US manufacturer of premium electric vehicles, were more intensely used than those from any other carmaker, with an average annual mileage of 12,459 in the first three years of ownership compared with an average of 10,377 a year for all vehicles.
    . . .

I hope someone on the "news side" picks up this article. FYI, I did ~21,000 miles in my first Tesla year.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Yeah, so they can charge us more road tax...

4. I passed it along.

Some interesting numbers. People in the UK certainly do puts lots of vehicles on EVs -- almost as much as diesels. The gasoline-vehicle annual miles is kind of low, which I thought was odd.

5. Well, it makes total sense that they clock more miles. They are typically bought by people that have more funds available and tend to be more around. Also, because of the fact that they have money is a reason they would replace a gas car is they drive a lot. If they don't, they are just an expensive paperweight.

It's like saying that for some reason trucks drive more than passenger cars. EVs make sense as a replacement for drivers that drive a lot. They are quiet and save money.

And it's a lot of Teslas. Really? They are the only really available mass produced EVs.

What a mind blowing study. Every EV driver can tell you that. (Ok I get the study, but really, it makes sense)

Myself as I not much driver haven't driven more in my EV than my gas car. 10k miles/year just like before.

6. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I usually drive about 35k miles per year but due to Coronavirus, I may only hit 31k or so for the first year with my Kona.. I'm at about 27500 miles so far after 10 months of ownership..

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Yep, like you're saying, you do about the same that you did before and I am convinced that most people are doing the same.

So I'm arguing that no, electric cars don't drive more than the cars that they replace. But they are replacing higher mileage vehicles because of their reduced long term cost.

(Not saying you argued otherwise)

9. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

Well, this increased miles trend will happen over the whole market anyways. Electric cars are cheaper to run, so people will drive more miles. Makes total sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

10. I feel like some are missing the thrust and some of the data points of this study.

Basically, it's just using this data to point out that EVs can fulfill the needs of modern drivers with existing range abilities. And, if you actually look at the study, you'll notice that while EV drivers did put more annual miles on the clock than petrol drivers, they didn't put as many miles up as diesel drivers.

Unfortunately, it doesn't really go into any reasons why this might be the case. But, the main thrust of the piece stays true. EV owners today, by and large are able to put lots of annual miles on their vehicles.

Of course, there are still limitations -- charging for street parkers springs to mind -- but combustion cars also have their limitations and drawbacks (they're literally killing us).