Transfering Location from HondaLink to Car

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Atul Thakkar, Aug 20, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Atul Thakkar

Atul Thakkar Active Member

Hello All;
    If some one has noticed , there is a feature in Hondalink app , where you can search any location , gas station , restaurant , anything, using this app and then you can remotely transfer that location to the Car. This feature is really helpful under following situations:
    1) When the specific address is not available in Honda GPS map database.
    2) You can pre plan the trip addresses and sent to car using your phone using local search capabilities.
    3) you can use Google Search capability to find locations.

This service I tried using. I found very useful , however I have some challenges , which I am trying to solve.

Once you find a specific point of interest , I was able to sent successfully to car from Hondalink.
    I was also getting message on the car screen for a moment for that point of interest appeared.
    However , I am struggling to find where the item sent is stored in GPS so that I can route to that point.
    I have looked into: recent places , saved item , and could not find where the received item from Honda link is stored.
    If any one can deep in to it that would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. neal adkins

neal adkins Active Member

I had the same problem. The first time i used the send to car function it worked great, but now mine does the same as yours. The location briefly appears on the screen but no way to access it.i have contacted customer service for the honda link app. They are looking into the problem.

4. WolfpackCL

WolfpackCL New Member

But why not just use android auto or apple carplay?

5. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

There will be a location icon in the header row of your primary display. Touch there and swipe down and the screen will show a list including the destination you sent via Hondalink.

Pegsie and neal adkins like this.
  6. neal adkins

Thanks
    Thanks Steven. When i contacted customer service they had me un pair and re pair my phone both in the phone and in the phone settings on the car display. It still was not recieving a sent location at first. So i powered the car off then resent the location. I heard the chime and the location briefly appeared. As you said I pulled down the notification bar on the top of the display, (my phone has a similar notification bar at the top of the screen), and then it showed the sent location. Thanks for your help

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. iluvscuba

iluvscuba Active Member

This has nothing to do with Honda Link but it did started with getting the Honda Link setup properly.

Something interesting happened yesterday when I did a longer trip (most of my previous trips are local and I know the place so I didn't use any GPS). I just got my Honda Link app working last Friday and so I setup the bluetooth connection, downloaded Android Auto (AA) and such. I tried AA but I didn't like it much. When I use my GPS on my phone, I prefer to use Waze instead of Google Map.

So yesterday when I sit in the car, start the car and connected the power cable to my phone, the first thing that showed up on my phone is the Android Auto screen, I swapped that away (as I don't want to use it) and then started Waze on my phone, set my destination, set the center screen to my usual which is the energy info/display screen and away we go. I started hearing steering instruction from the car speaker which make sense since I am connected to the car's bluetooth. Then I notice on my DID (Driver Information Display), it is showing the direction of my next turn (I have set that screen to show the compass) and thru the whole trip, all the Waze steering information was shown right in front of me and the car's speaker announces the Waze instruction so I don't even have to look at my phone at all.

I did an experiment on my return trip, I unplugged the phone from the driver USB and put it in the passenger USB so it's still charging but no more AA, start the car, start Waze on the phone, this time, the DID did not show any information except the compass and the current street name just like I am not using Waze on my phone. So I stopped the car, kill Waze, re-plug the phone back to the driver USB, AA screen shows up, swipe that away, start Waze and set new destination. load and behold, the DID now display the steering information again.

So even though I am NOT using AA, and my infotainment screen is not showing the map, somehow, the GPS information got transferred to the car's GPS system and are displayed in the DID if you set that screen to the Compass screen. I think tomorrow when I go out, I will check out the map screen on the infotainment screen and see if there is any steering information being shown there

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  9. Dave Mitchell

Dave Mitchell New Member

I had the same behavior but I am not clear on your guidance. Are you talking about the primary display on the car? Thanks, Dave

10. neal adkins

11. neal adkins

The infotainment display has a notification bar at the top that functions just like your smart phone notification bar. Just pull it down and all received locations will show. Simply tap on the location to select.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Dave Mitchell

Dave Mitchell New Member

Thanks. From the home screen swiping down will give me some info (see picture). I still can't find a location sent from the Hondalink app. It worked the very first time I tried, but not since.

Attached Files:

14. neal adkins

at the top where it shows your phone battery charger l state there should be a location icon that looks like a tear drop. So looking at your pic, the car didn't receive the sent location. Try resending and look for the icon again.

15. Dave Mitchell

Dave Mitchell New Member

Thanks, I will keep trying, I don't recall seeing an icon like this. Hondalink and carplay have not been issue-free!
    Thanks again, this helps a lot.
    Dave

16. neal adkins

Customer care recommended to delete my phone from the car and then re pair because If your phone service has been refreshed it will cause your Bluetooth pairing to be voided even though you still show a connection. If you can't get it working look in the Honda link app under Support and call.

17. Dave Mitchell

Dave Mitchell New Member

I did get it working after I started the car after a few hours. I am guessing it is a connection issue, HondaLink and CarPlay are not really robust. It "may" help to connect car play before starting the car.
    Dave

18. I've had many times where it took almost 30 minutes to send an address from my phone to car! I would get it halfway through the drive...not helpful.