towing

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by stacey burke, May 16, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. stacey burke

stacey burke Active Member

I know that Honda says to use a flat bed if a Clarity needs to be towed, BUT if the front wheels (front wheel drive) are up why does it need to be a flat bed?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

Interesting question. I kind of wondered about that when I read it in the manual. I can't think of a logical reason for it - unless there is some system that keeps churning away even when the power is off (vehicle stability, or some such, using speed sensors at individual wheels.)

I recently pondered this, as my wife and I were going to be traveling to a location a few hours away, at different times, and her AWD Pilot is rated to tow 4,500 pounds. My thought was to rent a tow-dolly and pull the Clarity home with it. It turned out that we were able to arrange to drive back separately, too.

4. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

Perhaps something to do with clearance when the front wheels are raised.

5. MarkClarity

MarkClarity Active Member

Here is an interesting article about towing electric cars. Link The biggest problem appears that the ignition must be turned on to get the e-brake off, and to be placed into neutral.

6. My guess is that (since the Clarity has a car wash mode that times out), they are afraid you will tow it and the brakes will come on during the tow. Flatbedding eliminates this risk...

7. To remove this ad click here.