Tire Repair Kit

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by zbartrout, Mar 17, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. zbartrout

zbartrout New Member

We had our first (and hopefully last) flat on our Clarity PHEV last month. My wife had the car and used the tire repair kit (pump and sealant) to temporarily repair the damaged tire.
    The dealer told me that I needed to order an entirely new kit even though it appeared to me that just the sealant cartridge could be replaced. After some research I ordered the Slime 10179 refill kit from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07329WT8F/ref=sxts_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521277634&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65
    While looking almost identical, the knob and valve are slightly different shape. Easy fix was just to swap those parts with the ones on the used component and now it’s good as new. Highly recommend this solution. I actually think the OEM is a Honda branded Slime unit. Chemistry and test of parts seem identical.

Hobbesgsr, KentuckyKen and prestoOne like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bruinjacket

bruinjacket New Member

Did you have to fully replace the tire and TPMS?

prestoOne likes this.
  4. K8QM

K8QM Active Member

I did notice that the Honda video says you only need the cartridge so you made the correct call.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  5. Hobbesgsr

Hobbesgsr Active Member

The Clarity uses Honda Indirect TPMS which leverages the ABS wheel sensors to calculate the rotational difference between all 4 wheels to calculate if one tire has a different pressure than the rest. It doesn’t actually measure tire pressure and if all 4 tires are evenly under or over pressured it will not alert you.

Domenick, KentuckyKen and bruinjacket like this.
  6. bruinjacket

bruinjacket New Member

Thanks for the info! In that case you just take it to any tire shop after using the repair kit?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. This should save all of us $. Wish this forum had stickies for posts as valuable as this one.

9. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

The indirect TPMS would be quite useless if it can't truly monitor the tire pressure in the tires.

10. zbartrout

zbartrout New Member

Yes. Not sure what was hit, but we had severe sidewall damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

11. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I think I would just get run-flats. You will lose some mileage but I think that would be better than filling the tire with sealant and all.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Just for those searching: No idea if Slime changed their parts, or they have >1 part with the same ID. I bought a 10179, and the container is a different shape than the Honda one--thinner and taller, and so (even with a swap of some parts) will not fit in the included pump. Guess I'm getting a can of fix-a-flat

14. Not at all. The idea is to tell you “a” tire seems low, just not which one. Good enough most of the time - carry a tire pressure gauge and it’s trivially easy to determine the culprit. The upside is no sensors to go bad or get damaged.

15. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I keep thinking that the TPMS system certainly must know which wheel is rotating at a different rate. Perhaps the system doesn't try to indicate which tire is low because it gets confused if 2 or more tires are low.

16. It’s similar to the Sesame Street song, “One of these things is not like the other.” Big Bird knows the answer. You have to figure it out.

Find a place to stop the car. Maybe it won’t be at night in a crappy part of town or on a cold rainy day. Grab the pressure gauge and circle the car, taking readings of all 4 tires. What? They’re all properly inflated?
    Better check again. Same result.

Get back in the car, reset the system and continue on. This has only happed twice in 18 months. Great system Honda. Thanks.

What’s next? The Low Fuel light coming on when the tank is full?

17. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

This is just a reminder for those of you that have the 18's, the flat repair kit's sealants are about to expired. You might want to look into buying a new can.

RickSE likes this.
  18. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

I had a flat a few weeks after buying the car - hit a curb coming out of a parking spot... But afraid of not having TPMS, I got external sensors - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08YF3L17D?th=1

A couple of years ago, hit a nail and these detected the low pressure and alerted me. The car's TPMS light never lit.

19. Johnhaydev

Johnhaydev Active Member

I have a 2018 clarity, my kit expired December 2023. any advice on where to get a replacement at a good price?

20. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I wouldn't necessarily say this is a good price, but it might qualify as a replacement. It would get you another 4+ years. I don't know if it will fit in the location in the Honda that is set aside for this. I think someone posted her once that is is slightly the wrong dimensions, but I don't remember for sure.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/204602793285

BTW, I don't like using the sealant stuff. I keep a good plug kit and compressor in the car. I also keep a compact spare (aluminum wheel spoked Infiniti G35) tire and tools. Everything except for the tire is stored in the compartment in the floor of the trunk (under the Clarity plastic trunk liner that came with the car). The spare tire generally lays in the trunk area with the inside of the wheel up (gives a nice place to pile groceries as it generally keeps them from rolling around when they are in the inside of the wheel area).

Whenever I lay the seats down for hauling stuff, I drape a beach towel over the spare tire, and put it behind the passenger seat, then let the passenger seat back so that the headrest from the back seat fits into the inside of the wheel. I'll continue to let the passenger seat back until it is a snug fit between the back seat and the front seat with the headrest inside the wheel. It takes up very little packing space when doing this.

21. The Mopar one, if it's the one I'm thinking of, is V2 of the third party product and has slightly different dimensions. I ended up putting a soft first aid kit into the tire pump slot and just having the pump loose.

Also, that's very expensive. Get a cheap one if it's not a 100% fit.

Robert_Alabama likes this.
  22. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

From an earlier post, this should work

https://slime.com/collections/tire-repair-kits/products/sealant-refill-cartridge-for-the-flat-tire-repair-kit
    I have not tried it yet but it should be an exact fit with the OEM pump. Cost $23. Walmart, Amazon sell it.
    or
    https://slime.com/collections/tire-repair-kits/products/rescue-emergency-tire-repair-sealant
    $20. This is shaped like a Lysol wipes and goes between the pump and tire.

Robert_Alabama likes this.
  23. Johnhaydev

Johnhaydev Active Member

I ordered the official honda replacement part from https://www.hondapartsnow.com/
    ordered it 2/15, arrived today, shipped from NH to MA.
    here is the link https://www.hondapartsnow.com/page_product/searchbyname?vin=&make=Honda&model=Clarity%20Plug-In%20Hybrid&year=2018&submodel=&extra1=4%20Door%20TRNG%20(CLARITY%20PHEV)&extra2=KA%20CVT&filter=()&keywords=tire%20repair%20kit

it was $65.60 + $12.84 shipping/handling.

it is an exact replacement for the honda part. expiration date 2029.
    I was easy to replace the original bottle of the sealant with the new one: took a few minutes, no special tools. same size as the old part.

RickSE and insightman like this.