The official EPA range and efficiency numbers are out - 243 miles!

Discussion in 'Kia Soul EV' started by Domenick, Feb 14, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. The upcoming revised 2020 Kia Soul EV has received its official EPA range and efficiency numbers.

The big figure here is 243 miles. That puts the Soul EV between the Kia Niro EV (239 miles) and the Hyundai Kona Electric (258 miles).
    All three of these share the same basic platform, but have important differences.

Efficiency-wise, the Soul EV is rated at 127 MPGe in the city and 101 MPGe on the highway, giving it a combined rating of 114 MPGe.

Here's a snapshot from the EPA site of how it compares with similar vehicles.

Kia-Soul-EV-compare.jpg

Mattsburgh likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I have a friend who is interested in the 2020 Soul EV. Hopefully it won't take months to be released, but I guess demand is high for the Kia and Hyundai electric vehicles.

4. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

I, too, am very interested in the new Soul EV, and have also been following the Niro EV closely. I hope to be able to compare them side-by-side, but I also realize that the availability of the Soul is lagging behind the Niro by a couple of months. Maybe I'll compare a non-EV Soul in terms of space, seats, etc. when the Niro is available in the US.

5. I believe there should be additional information out about the 2020 Soul EV in the next day or two.

As far as comparing a non-EV Soul, remember that the 2020 model year is new, so the interior will be different in size and feel.

6. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

Yes, thanks. I've seen some reviews on the non-EV versions of the 2020 Soul from a media event in California in the last week or two, but the EV was not there. I'd bet that rollout is delayed by battery availability, still.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I don't know that it is delayed. It has always been a bit behind the rollout of the Kia Niro EV and the Hyundai Kona Electric (they're all built on the same platform and have the same basic drivetrain.

InsideEVs published a piece today on the Euro version, but it basically the same we will get here, but we'll only have the big battery option. THere are lots of specs/dimensions in the article, though.

• 64 kWh lithium-ion polymer battery (180 Ah of capacity and 356 V of nominal voltage, 170 kW power output)
    • Range WLTP: 452 km (280 miles). U.S. version was rated by EPA at 243 miles (391 km)
    • Energy consumption WLTP: 157 Wh/km
    • Energy density (cell) 250 Wh/kg
    • 150 kW (@ 3,800 – 8000 rpm) and 395 Nm (@ 0 – 3,600 rpm) permanent magnet AC synchronous motor
    • 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 7.6 seconds
    • Top speed: 167 km/h (104 miles)
    • on-board charger 7.2 kW
    • CCS DC fast-charging capability as standard – from 20% up to 80% capacity in just 42 minutes from a 100 kW DC fast-charger
    • Weight: 1,682 kg (Curb weight) and 2,180 kg (Gross weight)
    • Luggage capacity (litres, VDA):
      • Behind second row 315
      • Behind first row 1,339

davidtm likes this.