The allusive statistic for 2018 Honda Clarity Plug in Hybrid

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by BRYANT HOLLINS, May 29, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. BRYANT HOLLINS

BRYANT HOLLINS New Member

To cut to the chase; I have read many threads on this site, watched many video reviews and read many reviews of the 2018 Honda Clarity plug in hybrid. I've also looked through all of the press launch material and looked extensively on Honda's website but I have not come across the official coefficient of drag for this car. With all of the trick vents, air curtains and angled design, I was curious how slippery it made the Carity cutting through the wind but have never come across this statistic. If during your review of the Honda Clarity you've come across this statistic, can you share the coefficient of drag and the source that has it... thanks in advance.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ab13

ab13 Active Member

I saw or read something that said it was in the low 0.2x, but they didn't give out the actual number.

4. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Active Member

How about ground clearance? I don't see it on the honda site.

5. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

KentuckyKen likes this.
  6. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Active Member

Anybody have the official ground clearance? It looks pretty low. I need to drive around snow during the winter.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Honda Canada lists the ground clearance with no load at 134 mm (5.28 in) and with a full load at 110 mm (4.33 in). I'd expect the weight of the Canadian battery heaters to be offset by the weight of the US electrically-powered front seats (Touring).

So let's both hope the snow doesn't get too deep. A set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta snow tires got us through last winter without experiencing any traction problems (the Clarity's 2-ton weight helps, too). However, snow tires will certainly make you appreciate the relative silence of the original tires.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  9. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

I don't know actual number, but it is good given mpg I get. I am also interested in engine thermal efficiency if anyone sees it. Must be up around 40%.

Johnhaydev likes this.
  10. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

This press release puts the 2.0L engine in the Accord Hybrid at 40%, so you are likely right:
    http://news.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=9932-en

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The Drive (among other sites) reports the Clarity PHEV's engine is an "industry leading" 40% efficient. If the Accord Hybrid's engine is also 40% efficient, I guess the Clarity's lead has been matched.

12. To remove this ad click here.