Some software bugs - any fix out there ?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Klim, Jun 21, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Klim

Klim New Member

Some more software bugs:

1. In the last few days the ICE would start unexpectedly and go to medium rpm. I do use the ICE every weekend and once or twice during the week, so it is not a “run through” engine start. The battery in all cases was over 70% full and the driving was a calm city road driving. Any ideas?

2. I am trying to monitor fuel consumption per drive. Just for fun . So I snap a photo of fuel consumption every few drives. See two photos attached: the last drive on the first one is the first drive on the second. It is all metric, but it easy to see that somehow the fuel consumption changed. Any ideas? IMG_1660.JPG IMG_1654.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

The book mentions that the car can start the engine at any time during these situations (page 13 of full manual):
    ● You are going uphill or accelerating aggressively.
    ● The climate control system is in heavy use.
    ● The Ambient temperature is too hot or too cold.
    ● The High Voltage Battery state of charge is very low.
    ● The vehicle is running a system check

Which pretty much means there is no way to tell the engine not to run. In practice it won't ever run unless temperatures are below 0-10 F (no hard limit, maybe battery temp related and/or heater usage related) or you accelerate such the power needle passes the end of the blue on the power gauge (arc around edge of speedo). Once the engine starts it will run until fully warmed up (10+ minutes in colder weather).

However, many on here were able to correlate the engine starting due to having a full charge and using regen braking going down hill right near beginning of run (something tied to regen and having a full battery).

Eric

4. Klim

Klim New Member

The situations listed did not exist - the temperatures in Toronto are comfortable these days, the battery was full and no high torque driving.
    The regen seems to be the consensus, however I fail to understand how the engine start would help in this situation... Unless instead of regen breaking Clarity uses engine break???

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

The "System Check" is kind of a general catch all that we don't really know what that means. The manual says a system check may be run at any time the car is powered on, so it really is vague.

My hunch is the full battery + regen, there is some speculation of what is going on there, but not so sure if it is a bug or somehow using the engine for engine braking instead of charging the battery.

I think this thread has info: https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/clarity-issues.368/

But note, it is like 400+ replies long.

Klim likes this.