Smog Test

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Bas, Aug 21, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bas

Bas New Member

I know that it takes years before you need to take a new car in for a smog test, but eventually we will all get to that point. So how does that work for a PHEV? Are they exempt from that requirement? And if not, how will it be performed? It doesn't seem that putting the Clarity on a Dyno and in HV mode would render the expected results, this because the Engine is not 'necessarily' always coupled to the motor. Any previous Volt owners that ever made it to this stage and can shine a light on it?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. weave

weave Active Member

Not sure how it's done in your state, but in mine (Delaware) they don't do tailpipe checks on cars unless they are > 20 years old. They just plug in to the OBD port and let the car rat itself out.

4. Bas

Bas New Member

As far as I'm aware in California they still probe the tail pipe.

Tony Vo likes this.
  5. tim

tim Member

Looks like the answer is that smog tests in California are still required for PHEVs after 6 years.

From the San Jose Mercury News Roadshow column (PUBLISHED: February 13, 2016 at 8:32 am | UPDATED: August 11, 2016 at 11:39 pm) :

Since their introduction to California in 2000, hybrid vehicles could not be properly tested using the traditional tailpipe test where emissions are measured at low speeds or idle rates. At these lower speeds, hybrids switch to their electric motors, making it impossible to measure the emissions of their gas engines.

But new tests now make it possible to test hybrids, so California changed the law last year.

Just like gas-powered vehicles, hybrids that are six model years and newer are exempt from the biennial smog check requirement.​

6. Bas

Bas New Member

Thanks Tim, I appreciate the detailed feedback.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

Akinto likes this.