Setting speed in cruise control

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by SkookumPete, Feb 2, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

Kona's adaptive cruise control system is excellent, not least because it keeps a steady speed both uphill and down.

Here's a tip I don't find in the manual. Long-press the toggle to increase or decrease the speed by 10 km/h. This is handy when speed limits change.

Domenick, fiercely, KonaTom and 3 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DanielLanz

DanielLanz New Member

My Swiss-Kona has a step size of 5.

4. SkookumPete

I did find it in the manual, in the Smart Cruise Control section. It appears that ordinary CC isn't smart enough to do this. ;-)

5. wizziwig

wizziwig Active Member

I noticed on the USA version of the Kona, they offer only Smart Cruise Control on the base trim and Smart Cruise Control with Stop & Go on the ultimate trim. What is the difference between them?

6. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

This video should explain the stop and go.

Kitsilano and SkookumPete like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SkookumPete

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/25/688383794/a-safety-feature-by-any-other-name-can-really-be-confusing-aaa-finds

9. wizziwig

wizziwig Active Member

Well, all the Kona EV trim levels have electronic parking brakes so the above video makes it sound like they all should have "Stop & Go". In that case I'm still unclear on what the ultimate trim level adds to SCC? Maybe something to do with the time length of the stop before you are required to hit the pedal to resume moving?

10. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

We are so new to the Kona EV that we are just learning. The owner's manual can be confusing as often it will say "if equipped" and we aren't even sure if it is the Kona Electric that is being referred to eg. looking at speed limit warnings etc. when it says radar will pick up speed limits in combination with Nav System "if equipped". Then we try user settings and scroll up and down endlessly looking to conclude "no it isn't equipped". We need the manuals to be specific for our car, and it doesn't seem to be the case.

Kitsilano, Canada Dan and Esprit1st like this.
  11. SkookumPete

My experience is that the Canadian Ultimate model is equipped with all those "ifs". :)

But yes, the manual borrows from the basic Kona manual and sometimes makes confusing references to the engine, etc.

The speed limits are shown on the map and optionally on the HUD. They are based on map data and can be out of date.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Yes, the speeds from the Nav system are on the HUD, but after we read the owner's manual, they talk about ISLW system in the user system that we can set that uses a combo of radar and Nav. It isn't in our system. So our Ultimate doesn't have those "ifs". It is referred to in section 5 and page 117. If you can find it on your Kona, please let us know. We think it has a few other "ifs" like power folding mirrors that we don't have. I think they have left in some features from the UK Kona Ultimates.

14. SkookumPete

I'm not seeing that. Are you looking at the printed Canadian manual, or some version you got online?

15. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  16. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

I see on the UK FB there is a discussion about some of their Kona Ultimates (called Premium in UK) have the speed limit settings etc. and some don't. Strange. Here is a video where the Kona's that have it can find it.
    Maybe some in Canada will have it too??

17. zoominbc

zoominbc Active Member

I looked around and didn’t find this feature. I’m pretty sure all Canadian Ultimate spec Kona’s will be the same.

CJC likes this.
  18. wizziwig

wizziwig Active Member

I think this KIA video confirms what I suspected about the "Stop & Go" feature offered on the USA Ultimate trim. If the stop is shorter than 3 seconds, it will allow the car to automatically resume moving. Without this feature (or if the stop is longer than 3 seconds), you will need to hit the accelerator pedal to resume moving.

19. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

My husband is loving the stop and go in traffic as it is very much self driving.

Domenick, KonaTom and Vanryan like this.