Rivian auxiliary battery module

Discussion in 'R1T' started by Domenick, Feb 21, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. The largest battery option Rivian will offer for its vehicles is 180 kWh, which is said to be good for 400 or so miles. That's a pretty awesome range for an EV, and especially so for an electric pickup.

However, you may be able to get even more range. Revealed in a patent application, Rivian may offer an auxiliary battery module to boost the already-impressive range.

How much more is unknown. Personally, I think 50 miles is as much as we should expect. It's interesting to see, though, that the drawings allow for liquid cooling.

It would probably be a pretty expensive option, so it will be interesting to see if they consider a rental program for it.

Here's the abstract and the drawings below that:
    Electric Vehicle With Modular Removable Auxiliary Battery With Integrated Cooling
    Abstract
    An electric vehicle system for transporting human passengers or cargo includes an electric vehicle that includes a body, a plurality of wheels, a cargo area, an electric motor for propelling the electric vehicle, and a primary battery for providing electrical power to the electric motor for propelling the electric vehicle. An auxiliary battery module is attachable to the electric vehicle for providing electrical power to the electric motor via a first electrical connector at the auxiliary battery module and a second electrical connector at the electric vehicle that mates with the first electrical connector. The auxiliary battery module can be positioned in the cargo area while supplying power to the electric motor, and can be removable and re-attachable from the electric vehicle. The auxiliary battery module includes an integrated cooling system for cooling itself during operation of the electric vehicle including a conduit therein for circulating coolant.

rivian-auxiliary-battery-module.jpg
    [​IMG]

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

I'll begin my comment by stating my usual caveat about patents: Most of them never result in any commercially produced product. Rivian taking out a patent for this is a very long way from a plan to actually offer this option to buyers of the R1T or the R1S.

Furthermore, an auxiliary battery pack with its own semi-independent cooling system* may be "novel", but it's a long way from being inexpensive, cheap, light weight, or energy efficient. The necessity for having its own battery pack casing, BMS, and cooling system would make it heavier and more more expensive per kWh, and less energy efficient, than the main pack.

Frankly, I think Rivian's engineers are too smart to actually try to make this an option for a mass-produced vehicle. It looks to me like something that would be used only in prototypes, if ever used at all.

*I say "semi-independent" because, as I understand it, the description says it shares coolant with the main pack. I presume that means it uses the same radiator for cooling... which would be another problem; that would put a bigger heat transfer load on the main pack's cooling system.

4. From what I understand, this came up with people from the company before the LA Auto Show. My information tells me it's being considered.

5. hillgiant

hillgiant New Member

I was thinking that little through cabinet between the cab and the bed would be a nice place for an auxiliary battery.

6. Poorpilot

Poorpilot Member

I was told by an engineer at the NY auto show that this module will never be produced, but who knows.

7. To remove this ad click here.