Review of Amazing e EVSE

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ozy, Mar 9, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ozy

ozy Active Member

So, for those limited numbers of people who want Level 2 charging but are limited to a 16 amp charging solution, there is the "Amazing e EVSE". From what I can tell there is a fairly limited market for this because it is essentially designed for people who are in the situation of being limited to a 240V/20amp receptacle ie: the wiring back to the panel is not one that would support anything greater than that. So according to electrical safety standards you are limited to 80% of that amperage or 16 amps. This may also apply to people who have older style receptacles in their garage that were built to support clothes dryers, or to those people who are combining two 120V lines to create a 240V solution (there are many threads on this). The Amazing e charges my car in under 4 hours at 3.8kW on a Nema 14-30 receptacle. For some reason, the manual suggests a 30 amp circuit but this is entirely unnecessary since the device draws no more than 16 amps and would work just fine on a 20amp circuit. I have checked this point with the company itself as well as electricians and others.

From a functional point of view there's not much to write about. It's a simple plug in device with absolutely no bells and whistles which works flawlessly. There are no controls, no wifi, no options. Simply plug it into your car for a seamless charging experience every time. I think the main advantages are what's under the hood. It's made in the U.S and supported by one of the most reputable EVSE companies; Clipper Creek. "Clipper Creek" does not show up anywhere on the outside of the charger but if you open it up you see that the circuit boards inside are Clipper Creek. And if you call Amazing e for support you magically wind up speaking to a Clipper Creek rep. What's amazing about this is that even though the device cost me $219 (less than many of the Chinese models on ebay) I received a quality U.S made product with 18 months warranty and world class tech support. It's relevant to note that the charger costs less at the Amazing e website than it does on Amazon.

For anyone needing to buy a 240V/16amp device this is an absolute no-brainer.

AlanSqB, MPower, KentuckyKen and 2 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Active Member

I really don't need another EVSE, I build my own, but I'm so impressed with this one that I've been thinking of buying one just to support the company and the product. It would be great for campground charging on road trips with a quick snip of that neutral blade.

The only miss that I see is not providing a 120V dual voltage/adapter option with it so that it could replace a stock EVSE "charger cable in the trunk" for most EVs. It's confirmed that it's not 120V capable.

This review shows the "guts" with the Clipper Creek info you mentioned: https://300mpg.org/2017/09/02/amazing-e-evse-review-and-opening/