Repair issues and fixes

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Francois, Oct 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Francois

Francois Active Member

As suggested in this other thread http://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/disappointed.6584/page-2 we might benefit from centralizing issues and their fixes.

I'll start with two easy ones:

1) When the car won't start at all, check your 12 volt battery first. A simple jump start might save you from needing to have your car towed.

2) When your sensor keeps indicating that your hatchback is open even though it is not, tighten up those damned door stoppers.

Kirk, Lars, navguy12 and 1 other person like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Issue : Clicking and clunking rear brakes
    Fix: Replacement of the rear pads with thicker ones including new clips

4. Can't open the charge door?

Push the unlock button on the key fob and open the charge door within 15? Seconds.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Kirk and James Ryan like this.
  5. Francois

Francois Active Member

It's push the unlock button twice on the key fob so that all doors are unlocked and then the charge door too can be opened. :)

Kirk, Lars and navguy12 like this.
  6. Or eliminate the 2 button push altogether in the settings or FOB itself

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I push the unlock button only once and it is unlocked.

Maybe my car is special

9. James Ryan and Fastnf like this.
  10. electriceddy likes this.
  11. James Ryan and Francois like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Cain

Cain New Member

Suddenly all makes sense why I've got a 50% hit rate at getting the charge plug out!

14. Gear reduction units have been replaced in several vehicles because of noise issues.

15. Unfortunately with questionable outcomes, though.

16. Francois

Francois Active Member

If one your tpms ever indicates a wheel with not enough pressure, you may have to inflate to at least 36 psi in order to make the warning light go away.

Kirk, Lars, Embra and 1 other person like this.
  17. Yeah, the two presses seems not to be needed. One unlock click does the job, even using the inside door switch.
    They're not actually loose, but height-adjustable via a rubber thread and need to be turned in further to allow the hatch to close easier. Same with the hood.

18. Thanks for making this thread sticky, easier to reference;)

19. Francois

Francois Active Member

You are welcome. I was only the messenger. This great idea was yours. :)

As a way to give back to this fantastic forum and its members, I will try to compile a list thread that would be useful for new owners and once I have enough of them, I will be creating a new new sticky thread for that.

To keep this current thread focused, and in case someone wants to contribute to compilation of threads to new owners, I invite anyone interested to send me suggestions through a private message/conversation. Thanks.

20. It would be good to sub divide into group categories (not to say that many problems on the Kona) such as (1) Drive train (including brakes and tires) - documented repair issues and fixes, (2) Noise - documented repair issues and fixes, (3) Electronics (including all 12 V systems), (4) Charging, inverter, TMS and HV battery, (5) Climate control system ,(6) Cosmetic - (paint, rust etc)... maybe I missed something?
    It would not be good to sticky all that at the top as it be annoying, but under one directory would work.

21. Francois

Francois Active Member

Just wanted to add that if someone doesn't know how to send a private message, you can do so by clicking on my username, the a pop up appears in which you then click "start a conversation". :)

navguy12 likes this.
  22. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

it has now been replaced,and my Kona EV has barely a squeal anymore.I looked super weird the first day I took it back because it was pretty chilly out,and i kept my window down to listen,weirdo,I know. Inside a parking garage I opened the window again,then went forward, reversed.

apu and R P like this.