Reducing Wheel Spin

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Steven B, Jun 20, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

There is no second gear to start out in, so has anyone come up with a strategy to reduce wheel spin on the Clarity when getting moving in poor traction situations? ... other than grippier-but-less-efficient tires.

Will it let you actively engage regen as you start out and temper the wheel torque?

I find even in econ mode, these 20k-mile tires can come loose pretty easily starting out on wet pavement.

Daniel M W likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

The pedal on the right is used to control the amount of torque the electric motors are supplying. :rolleyes:

Since electric motors have all their torque right from the start, it takes a more judicious use of the throttle. If you VSA turned off (unlikely as it defaults to on every time you start the car), it will reduce the amount of traction control provided by the car.

Regen (at any setting) has no effect unless the car is decelerating.

4. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

I have a place with some loose gravel at an intersection on a regular route I take. I find the Clarity’s traction control effectively stops wheel spin very quickly. If you’re breaking tires loose, I wonder if the TC on yours is working correctly?

5. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

I haven't experienced TC yet on the Clarity, is it fairly obvious when it is working? On my Prius I could feel the wheels sort of skipping when I started out too fast on wet pavement and TC kicked in, especially if I was turning when I started off.