Reading up on 2019 Clarity and ...

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Crota, Mar 6, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Crota

Crota Member

upload_2019-3-6_12-35-30.png

I found this. Is this accurate? Did Honda increase the battery size on the 2019?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

That is for the EV version of the Clarity.

qtpie, Mariner91 and delrey like this.
  4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

17kWh total capacity in the PHEV version of which only about 13 are usable. The difference is the buffer at top and bottom of the SOC that protects the battery.

5. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

With how much nicer the Clarity PHEV is than the Volt, it's odd how bad the Clarity EV is in comparison the Bolt. Much bigger dimensions, yet much less battery and still less trunk space.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

For some people, range and trunk space aren't the most important considerations when selecting a BEV. Let's consider value of the two cars. The seats and interior of the Bolt are far inferior to the Clarity Electric. Then compare the cost of ownership for a 36-month lease:
    • For the Clarity Electric, Honda charges $1,799 due at signing and $199/month ($8,963 total).
    • For the Bolt, Chevrolet of Fremont (1st googled) charges $7,995 due at signing and $159/month ($13,719 total).
    I wonder which car has the better quality of construction? Let's not ask Consumer Reports. If you don't live in CA or OR, however, the Clarity Electric is not an option.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  8. petteyg359

That does bring up another point, though... You can actually buy a Bolt if you want to. Honda doesn't seem to think the Clarity EV is even marketable to people who don't lease, so your cost of "ownership" is stretching the definition :)

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

"Cost of" terminology aside, it is much less expensive to drive a Clarity Electric than a Bolt.

Clearly, the Clarity Electric is nothing but a compliance car and Honda doesn't want to have to support the car indefinitely (same with the Clarity Fuel Cell and the Fit EV). Honda is offering a low-cost, premium-content alternative to those thinking of leasing a Bolt in CA or OR. For CA/OR residents intent on owning their BEV (with the attendant battery-longevity anxiety) or who want more than 89 miles of range, the Leaf, Bolt, or FINALLY the $35K Model 3, are obvious alternatives. All of which will be less luxurious and more expensive to drive than the Clarity Electric.

And you can't get a Bolt in Vortex Blue Pearl.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  10. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Test drove a Bolt. It is a cheap $15k economy commuter car in every way but the powertrain. I’m happy the Clarity’s bigger dimensions are used for passenger space rather than battery space and I sure wouldn’t want to drive a Bolt on a multistate road trip with my family. The Clarity PHEV is a much nicer space in which to spend time. They are different products for different market niches and not really directly comparable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. petteyg359

Yes, but those last few posts are about the *EV*, which you couldn't practically drive on a multistate trip even if you wanted to. Yes, the PHEV is great for that. Having been in a Volt on multistate trips, it's not a bad car. It's just definitely not as not-bad a car as the Clarity. Given the Bolt is actually a teensy bit bigger inside than the Volt, I expect it'd be more not-bad than the Volt :p

13. Chuck

Chuck Member

We have a Clarity PHEV and a Bolt. The Bolt is certainly a much more fun car to drive, far quicker. The Bolt also has a real nice parking sensor suite and a great 360 camera system. The Clarity is nicer inside and the added wheelbase makes it more comfortable on the freeway. We go down to Oregon State to visit our daughter and have taken both cars. The Clarity uses 2 1/2 gallons of gas for the trip(leaving with full charge, not charging while there), the Bolt can make it and still have 40-100 miles of range left(40 @ 75mph on I5, 100 @55 on Hiway 99). We love them both. We wanted a Volt but grandma could not sit in the back, we think the back seat of the Volt is far tighter than the Clarity. That said I would like to have the hatch back.

jdonalds and 4sallypat like this.