Push button gear changer

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by electriceddy, Feb 6, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. This may be dumb but I have to know...
    WHAT IF my dog steps( or kids fingers) on the park or reverse button by accident while driving, is there an alert beep or does it do the unwanted?
    Anybody try?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

P
    The manual is specific that pressing P when the car is "over a certain speed" has no effect, and that to shift into R you have to depress the brake pedal. I assume that attempting the latter at speed would result in the "Shift conditions not met" error.

Don't worry, Mother Kona is not going to let anything bad happen. ;-)

Vanryan and CJC like this.
  4. EnerG

EnerG Active Member

Something to think about. I opened the drivers door while crawling with foot on the brake and the car abruptly shifted into me into P. This has me concerned that if an occupant opens a door to re-close it while moving at a greater speed, what exactly would happen ? This is not something I'd care to put to the test, but it could easily happen.

5. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

According to p. 5-12 of the Canadian manual, that will only happen at a speed of less than 2 km/h. But it's not supposed to happen if either pedal is depressed. The behavior seems aimed at stopping the car from creeping away when you step out.