Popular mechanics best car of the year (2018)

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Cypress, Mar 30, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Cypress

Cypress Active Member

PNW
    https://insideevs.com/popular-mechanics-declares-tesla-model-3-2018-car-of-the-year/

Congrats to Tesla, well deserved.

I got to see a Model 3 in person and sit in it for bit. Was actually impressed with the interior. I really like the uncluttered and expansive view out the front windscreen. The display screen seemed well placed, but I think Tesla should offer classes and maybe live online webinars on how to use the UI. It seemed fairly complex, and not very intuitive. But I didn’t get much time with it.

The car is much better looking in person, than in pictures.

I didn’t really like not having basic mechanical latches for the trunk and hood, and glove box, and needing to use the screen. But maybe if they added a smartwatch app that allowed you to simply pass the watch near them to open? The steering wheel and AC adjustments were pretty neat, but not sure how well that would work to adjust while driving.

They make great products overall, but seem to over complicate things that should be simple.

Wish they would make a $20k EV, with just basic features and not a lot of unnecessary fancy tech, and unnecessarily quick acceleration. 6-7 seconds is plenty quick for a daily driver. Just give a couple basic gages for speed and kWh remaining.

By 2020, I’ll see what they have to offer for the Model 3, and hopefully some options will be more alacart and not all bundled together.

In the meantime, I did sign up to get notified when the Model 3 will be available for a test drive. I’m not shelling out any cash for a car I can’t test drive first.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Feed The Trees

Feed The Trees Active Member

I dunno about the better in person than pictures. I think it looks downright goofy from certain angles especially the front.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

4. Cypress

Cypress Active Member

PNW
    In pictures, I agree. But in person, IMO, it’s easier to take the whole vehicle in.

WadeTyhon likes this.
  5. WadeTyhon

WadeTyhon Well-Known Member

Whaaaaat you’re crazy. :D It’s a beautiful car in person. Even from the front!

Cypress likes this.
  6. WadeTyhon

WadeTyhon Well-Known Member

Horray for Model 3!

The idea of giving this kind of award to any other car in 2018 is crazy! ;)

It may not be perfect, but it is an awesome car and easily the most important car of the year.

Cypress likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.