Poor man’s door sill protection

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Fast Eddie B, Jan 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. It seemed to me like the unprotected, painted door sills were going to get all scratched up in short order. On a budget, we kinda cheaped out:

[​IMG]

That tape is available at Home Depot. I used it on an older Land Cruiser a while back and it held up very well.

Just a thought.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

I'm confused. How would that area get scratched? Isn't it protected when the door is closed?

How would it get scratched during the brief time the door is open?

I'm not trying to be an ***, I just don't see why this would be needed.
    Please enlighten me if I'm missing something, or if I am confused about what you're talking about.

4. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Passengers slide their feet across it getting in the car. The careful owner may not do it but others will.

5. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

And cool matts- where'd you score those? Are they expensive?

Can you post some more pics of those?

6. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

I guess that track spike shoes would do it:) Just kidding, something could get dropped. I get it.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. vicw

vicw Active Member

Good idea, and a great color match. I'm impressed at how precisely you installed it. I may just try it myself

9. That area is easily scuffed as people - and pets - drag their feet getting in.

I know our Flex has guards there. I think our Element and Ridgeline do, but I’d honestly have to check.

10. From Tuxmat, as recommended by others here.

https://www.tuxmat.ca/

I’ll see about more photos tomorrow.

11. lessismore

lessismore Member

could put up a sign and ask all passengers to remove their shoes before getting into Clarity. ;)

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

We bought the accessory door-sill protectors because I thought the light-up "Clarity" (on the front protectors only) was cool. Now I find myself just as worried about scratching up those things as I would the naked painted door sills.

RickSE and KentuckyKen like this.
  14. BLAZETIGER

BLAZETIGER New Member

I may have to try this. One of our door sills is already scratched. Did you get the 4 inch or 2 inch width? Any issues with the edges lifting?

15. 4”. No issue with lifting edges yet, just cleaned well with alcohol prior to installation.

My left rear leaves a bit to be desired and I’ll probably redo it at some point. There’s virtually no stretch to the tape, so you need to pretty much stop short of where the sill starts curving upwards.