Parking brake malfunction

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by lorem101, Aug 1, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. lorem101

lorem101 Member

While driving with the brake hold feature yesterday I got a warning message about a parking brake malfunction and the brake hold feature got disabled. Anyone experience this?

My other question is, can I take the car to any Honda dealer or does it have to be the dealer I bought it from?
    Sorry for the ignorance, this is my first new car :)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. neal adkins

neal adkins Active Member

Yes is happened to me when i had the brake hold on and then shut the car off. When i restarted the car would not move. Turned out i had to release the parking brake which i had not set. So the parking brake and brake hold are closely linked. Probably when i restarted the car the system detected the brake was on and would not allow the car to move.
    You can take it to any dealer in theory. But in my smaller town they sometimes give the cold shoulder treatment if you didnt purchase the car from them.

4. Candice

Candice Active Member

I noticed that when I use brake hold and unbuckle (like to reach into the back seat for something) the parking brake is automatically on. It took me a few seconds to figure out how to shut it off because I had never purposely turned it on.

5. Jaketesla

Jaketesla Member

You don't have to take it to the dealer from which you bought it but you may have to take it to an "authorized Clarity" dealer. I spoke to a Honda dealer that does not sell Clarities and they wouldn't even do an oil change.

6. lorem101

lorem101 Member

I went to take a picture of the warning message but it's gone now. I tried using brake hold and it's working again, which is great but has me a bit worried. I'll update the thread if it happens again.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I'll probably take it to the dealer I bought it from if the warning light comes on again.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tailwind

Tailwind Active Member

Everything being described in the above posts is normal behavior for the Clarity. Refer to page 432 in the owner's manual. They appear to me to be safety features to prevent unintended movement of the car.