Oregon Charge Ahead Program

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by bogart48, Apr 7, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bogart48

bogart48 New Member

I just thought I would let anyone know who bought a Clarity in Oregon expecting the $2500 for the Oregon Charge Ahead program may not get it.
    I just got an email stating I have been disqualified from the program.
    When I bought my Clarity back in Oct '18, I saw the 2 rebates from Oregon, one being the Charge Ahead meant for people in the low-moderate income category, of which I am. However, it appears that the DEQ has changed the rules and only applies if you bought your car AFTER 9/29/2019.
    Now, I thought I was pretty careful at looking at the rules, even reading the ORS's themselves, which I can no longer find. This is just very frustrating.
    Has anyone else had this happen to them?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. We applied for the Standard Rebate of $2500 in Nov 2019 after purchasing the car in Aug 2019. It took longer than expected to get all the paperwork from the DMV. Still waiting for the check.

The DEQ website does state that the Charge Ahead Rebate is for the purchase of a new or used, qualifying vehicle on or after 9/29/19. Perhaps you could apply for the standard rebate?

4. bogart48

bogart48 New Member

I did apply for the standard rebate, which I have already received. It took nearly a year to get it.

5. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

If you got the standard rebate, you also can get the Charge Ahead rebate. The info on the website is incorrect - the Sept 29th, 2019 date only applies to used PHEV's (that's when the rules were amended to make used ones eligible).
    What reason did they give for declining your application? Was it purchase date? Or some other reason like household income?
    Did you indicate at the time of your standard rebate application that you were also applying for the Charge Ahead? Or did you submit a separate application at a later date?

6. There’s a distinct possibility that the DEQ employee who sent out the letter of disqualification is not fully aware of the DEQ rules for the CAR program. They may only have easy access to the same information we have on the website, so it could require them to dig deeper to find the used car wording, which you have indicated as being the reason for disqualification.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bogart48

bogart48 New Member

Below are the 2 emails they sent me.
    ======================
    Unfortunately, Plug-in Hybrid vehicles purchased on or before 9/29/2019 are not eligible for the Charge Ahead rebate. For eligibility guidelines, please visit our web site:
    https://www.oregon.gov/deq/aq/programs/Pages/Charge-Ahead-Rebate.aspx

Best regards,

Artem Putilin
    Oregon Clean Vehicle Rebate Program (OCVRP)

Center for Sustainable Energy®
    3980 Sherman Street, Suite 170
    San Diego, CA 92110
    Phone 855-EVEHICLE (855-383-4425)
    Direct Line: (858) 429-0918

Learn more about our mission to decarbonize at EnergyCenter.org

========

Thank you for applying for the Oregon Clean Vehicle Rebate Program (OCVRP). Upon review of your OCVRP rebate application OR-100*** for your Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid, we have determined that you are ineligible for the rebate.

You have been determined to be ineligible for the rebate because there was the following issue with your application:plug-in Hybrid vehicles purchased on or before 9/29/2019 are not eligible for the Charge Ahead rebate. For that reason, your application has been canceled.

Our team appreciates your investment in clean vehicle technology, and please let us know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Artem Putilin
    Center for Sustainable Energy®

Oregon Clean Vehicle Rebate Program
    3980 Sherman Street, Suite 170 San Diego, CA 92110
    [email protected]
    855–EVEHICLE or 855-383-4425

For more information visit the Oregon CVRP website
    ===============================================================

After reading a little bit on the link they sent me, it also states the purchase date must be after 9/29/2019. That requirement, as far as i know, did not exist when I bought the car.

9. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

I reread the text of HB2017 that originally established the program, and indeed PHEVs were not eligible for the Charge Ahead portion under the original statutes.
    SECTION 148.
    As used in sections 148 to 152 of this 2017 Act:
    (1) “Light-duty zero-emission vehicle” means a motor vehicle that:
    (a) Has a gross vehicle weight rating of 8,500 pounds or less;​
    (b) Is capable of attaining a speed of 55 miles per hour or more; and
    (c) Is powered:
    (A) Primarily by an electric battery and may or may not use a flywheel energy storage device or a capacitor that also stores energy to assist in vehicle operation.​
    (B) By polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cells or proton exchange membrane fuel cells that use hydrogen fuel and oxygen from the air to produce electricity.
    (C) Primarily by a zero-emission energy storage device that provides enough power for the vehicle to travel 75 miles or more using only electricity and may or may not use a backup alternative power unit that does not operate until the energy storage device is fully depleted.​
    (4) “Plug-in hybrid electric vehicle” means a hybrid electric motor vehicle that:
    (a) Has zero evaporative emissions from its fuel system;​
    (b) Has an onboard electrical energy storage device with useful capacity of 10 or more miles of urban dynamometer driving schedule range, as described by the United States Environmental Protection Agency, on electricity alone;
    (c) Is equipped with an onboard charger;
    (d) Is rechargeable from an external connection to an off-board electrical source;
    (e) Meets the super ultra-low emission vehicle standards for exhaust emissions, as defined by the Environmental Quality Commission by rule;
    (f) Has a warranty of at least 15 years and 150,000 miles on emission control components; and
    (g) Is capable of attaining a speed of 55 miles per hour or more.

SECTION 150.
    (1) As used in this section:
    (b) “Charge ahead rebate” means a rebate for the purchase of a new or used light-duty zero-emission vehicle issued through the Charge Ahead Oregon Program established under this section.​
    When you bought your Clarity PHEV, it was not eligible for the Charge Ahead rebate. The rule changes did not change the required date of purchase for a PHEV to be eligible, but instead made them eligible for purchases going forward (they elected not to make the rule changes retroactive to prior purchases).

Rules were adopted on 9/27/2019 expanding the program and adding PHEVs purchased/leased on or after 9/29/2019
    https://www.oregon.gov/newsroom/pages/NewsDetail.aspx?newsid=3443

I was mistaken in my assertion that new PHEVs always qualified.

10. I just followed the links provided in the letter from DEQ which led to DEQ Chapter 340, Division 270.

349-279-0020 reads as follows:
    Effective Dates
    2)The rebates for the Charge Ahead Program took effect 1/1/18 for light duty ZEV’s. The rebates for the Charge Ahead Program take effect on 9/29/19 for PHEV’s.

I appears this was effective on 5/14/18.