NJ EV Rebate question

Discussion in 'General' started by porky, Mar 3, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. porky

porky Member

I am a new owner of a Kona EV and an NJ resident. I know details about the $5,000 EV and $500 EVSE installation rebates are scarce except it will administered by the NJ Board of Public Utilities starting July 2020.

That said, does anyone know if the $500 EVSE installation rebate includes the equipment only or equipment and installation?

Also, the IRS on their form 8911 state that you can claim upto $1,000 for residential installation of an EVSE at your primary residence in tax year 2020. Does this extend to equipment and installation as well?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

Correction. You can claim up 30% of the cost of the equipment + installation subject to a maximum of $1000. So to get the $1000 credit you need to have a total cost (equipment and installation) of greater than $3334 i.e. 30% of that

As per home advisor, the cost for a level 2 station is between $1800 to $2700. So you may get less than $1000 in rebates. The cost depends on your charger, installation costs which will vary depending on the house. In some houses, the wiring may need to be replaced in portions etc.

https://www.homeadvisor.com/cost/garages/install-an-electric-vehicle-charging-station/
    upload_2020-3-3_10-9-42.png

porky likes this.
  4. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

I can't speak to NJ taxes, but the Fed tax credit applies to both equipment and installation. So, I'll get the 30% of $1000, or $300.

5. porky

porky Member

Hmmm...Thanks for clarifying. I guess I thought the 30% applied to commercial installations only. Oh, well.

6. porky

porky Member

NJ Clean Energy has updated their website with additional details on EV rebates.

https://www.njcleanenergy.com/residental/electric-vehicle

The rebate program has not started but you can get on their mailing list to be notified when it does.

Not sure what they mean by "up to" $500 for home EV charging infrastructure.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. porky

porky Member