Nice review, could use more technical details

Discussion in 'e-tron' started by bwilson4web, Aug 31, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

The only things missing:
    • Which trim?
    • Did it come with a spare?
    Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. David Green

David Green Well-Known Member

Sean said E-Tron rides and handles better than any Tesla, more quiet, and very fun to drive... After 5 days he is more impressed then ever with E-Tron. Sean (a big time Tesla fan) said he found himself imagining an E-Tron in the driveway... Sounds familiar, huh?

Mine is premier trim, and yes, it does have a spare that is stored under the gesture tailgate (a feature No New Tesla has).

4. bwilson4web

Our 2003 had a donut spare that I replaced with 14" full size spare. The 14" spare worked for tire size experiments:
    [​IMG]
    • rear tire is OEM and even after four wheel alignment, the car had neutral stability
    • front tire is next size up that improved straight-line stability and corrected speed and odometer
    • spare tire is experimental for front wheel overdrive
    I bought a full size, 15" spare for the 2010 Prius. The 2017 Prius Prime came with a goop kit and jack but I kept the full size spare from the 2010 for cross country trips.

The 2014 BMW i3-REx was missing its goop kit which I replaced with a string plug kit and Harbor Freight air pump. One rear tire picked up two punctures, a machine screw and conical shaped, stone. The string repairs worked but the second plug had a slow leak. Redoing it worked fine. With 34,000 service miles, the worn out tire was replaced a thousand miles and a couple of months later:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The string plug kit is messy so I added some disposable, rubber gloves.

For the Tesla and BMW, I carry an automatic, 12V air pump and this:
    [​IMG]
    The plugs are glue free and the mushroom head is mechanically superior.

Bob Wilson

5. David Green

This is an Audi board, I doubt any readers coming here care about your tire patching, and I certainly do not care, I do not do my own repairs because after repairing tires need to be re-balanced for me as I am picky about vibrations.

6. bwilson4web

Perhaps it is time to rethink making backhanded comments about a Tesla in the thread. Regardless, if someone gets a clue from my tire experiments, good. If not, good too.

So far, the Tesla remains straight-line stable and with the driver assistant systems, very well behaved. For example, it handles curves and ramps 'hands free.' It also makes lane changes with just the turn signal. Well with the cool weather, time to air up the tires.

As for that plugged tire, there was no noticeable vibration. Had the tire developed a slow leak, I would have taken it to a tire shop but it was already getting close to the wear bars. The 'Plug and Go' kit has amazing, light plugs. It comes from the motorcycle world.

Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. David Green

Bob, Tesla builds Beta products including your auto steer, when will that 4 year old system become non Beta? As for backhanded comments I am just trying to balance the thousands of Tesla fans (most of which do not even own the cars) that constantly trash on anything else EV, it's silly to throw stones in a glass house.

As for the tire vibrations, I am pretty sure you do not drive as fast as I do, and not as sensitive to the vehicles mechanicals. I rarely buy a new set of tires and accept the first balance job, I am known at the local good year retailer as the picky one, they always spin my tires a couple extra times to fine tune the balance. I even have my trailer tires balanced because it bothers me if I can feel vibrations. I guess this comes from my work on gas turbines where balance is so critical when turning 20K + RPM's, and since I have to stand next to them on the dynamometer to set the fuel control when they are running at full power with full load, I prefer that everything is smooth inside, as when the parts inside decide to let go and come outside, running for your life is usually not fast enough.

9. bwilson4web

And I am quite satisfied with mine. Drove about 50 miles today with most just for fun.
    It is a dirty job and I'm glad you're up to it.

Considering the quality of roads in Dixie, it is a wonder anyone could tell what was the problem. I used to listen to electro-tech music until it began to sound like something was wrong with the engine. I once fixed a failing valve chain by turning off the music.

Bob Wilson

10. David Green

Model 3 is quite a car, and Tesla quite a company... Just avoid the car wash...

https://www.model3club.com/tesla-is-trying-to-charge-customers-for-warranty-repairs/?fbclid=IwAR3mjoyVG1FGy8ZypngVU6kUs0dH2vpt4qaK5gyVoI7yiHILOSJjOkVhrOQ

https://www.model3club.com/tesla-asks-owners-not-to-use-car-wash/