New MINI App

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Puppethead, Dec 4, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

There's a new MINI app coming (for both iOS and Android). I'm hoping it adds the necessary hook for Apple Maps EV routing, but it sounds like it may show more info on the car.

Some in Europe say they've been using it and it isn't as full-featured as the MINI Connected app, but maybe that was a soft rollout and the full release will have more functionality.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I was excited until I read what it does. It really doesn't seem different other than layout or looks. At least for now.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'll be happy even if the only thing they change is the "Cooper se" at the top to "Cooper SE." That's not too much to ask, is it? I'm happy it's so much more stable than the buggy, often inoperable HondaLink app for our Clarity PHEV.

Texas22Step likes this.
  5. Puppethead

So I'm not the only one tweaked by that. It's a shame, considering how well-done the app is in general.

AndGuz likes this.
  6. Puppethead

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tommy Electric

Tommy Electric Active Member

So I suppose those of us with the old app already installed will eventually be getting a prompt to update to the new version?

9. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

It's a separate app. Still waiting on it in the US so cannot say more about it personally

10. insightman

That video contains about as much info as the TV ad for the Cooper SE.

What does the new app do that the current app doesn't do? The "no key" feature would be so much better if it were a "no fob" feature. Rather than expending the effort to change "Cooper se" to "Cooper SE," did the app just do away with the model name?

11. Puppethead

No way to know why BMW decided to write a new app. My experience with software development is sometimes you just want to start over for a better foundation. Or sometimes it's to make use of "cross platform" technology, which always makes things worse.

As for the "no key" feature, maybe it's Apple's new CarKey feature, which indeed would mean no fob needed. BMW is reportedly the first car manufacturer to support CarKey.

Urbanengineer and insightman like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Tommy Electric

Even though the marketing for this car was irrelevant in my decision to purchase one, all the advertising that I've seen for the SE doesn't really do it for me, to be honest. It's lots of young, hip, beautiful people looking young, hip and beautiful. I know that marketing is meant to be about selling the lifestyle and image rather than the product, "sizzle" rather than the steak, blah blah blah. I just don't care for that kind of thing.

14. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

CarKey is huge. Once you have used a phone-based key, a fob seems like an annoyance. Of course, not having a backup whatsoever (like an RFID card), is a little problematic.

15. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I think they can be good for those who do keys in pockets. For me remotely unlocking and locking matter more. My 2 sets of keys rarely move bags so having a fob isn't bad. I do have different wraps to make them smaller though like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Chrome-Alloy-Metal-Cooper/dp/B07RWZL571

16. insightman

I assumed there were electronics and an antenna filling the whole OEM key fob, but nope, it's just MINI's ploy to invade and occupy an entire pocket. Thanks for the link!

17. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Be sure to look all over the internet. That was the first link I saw. I think I paid $12 each for mine. Mine are just black matte and about 4 years old now. I rarely keep mine in my pocket but it's nice when I do. I just took mine off of my keys now so I'll have them for my new set. Etsy has a ton of fun ones as well.

insightman and MichaelC like this.
  18. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

What the!? I've been on this forum for months now, and this is the first I've heard that the FOB can be slimmed down. That was one of the things I was like "why is that key FOB so big?". :)

19. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I think more of the owners here are new to Mini from what I've seen. That might be why. That and I couldn't even easily find a set to buy when I did so they are newer thanks to 3D printing

There are some Mini forums that I read a lot about when I got my first one.

Oh and the fob shape is due to the circle motif that's found in many places in the car.

insightman and GvilleGuy like this.
  20. Puppethead

I hadn't even thought about the circles until I saw this video a few days ago and realized, "oh yeah, it's true!" I've driven MINIs for 10 years and always appreciated the big circular gauges, but hadn't realized how many circles there are.

(Talk of the circles starts at 5:46)

Lainey and GvilleGuy like this.
  21. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Lol
    Sorry. Though I get it. Sometimes what we think should be obvious is not

22. Tommy Electric

Funny about the charge port. I have to agree with him there.

23. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Oh, I meant Apple CarKey is 'huge' as in, it will be a very important feature. I had a Tesla and their phone based entry with backup RFID card was a breeze. I now have 2 different cars and am always juggling fobs. The other car fob has buttons seem to get easily pressed from my pocket. The Mini key, much like everything else about the car is exquisite. :)

GvilleGuy likes this.