Musk already showed the more sedate pickup option at semi unveil?

Discussion in 'General' started by 101101, Nov 2, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

It is the pick-up image he showed with the Ford F150 in the back. This may have been a subtle test to see how people e would react to the more conservative design to help get a baseline. The image doesn't seemed to be signed by Franz or Musk it is signed by someone else with quite a distinctive signature.

https://images.everyeye.it/img-notizie/elon-musk-vuole-lanciare-pickup-come-blade-runner-v3-350013.jpg

And Musk said it was huge- could hold an F150 in the back as in the picture. And I think we can understand why it is huge, because it is made of Semi parts and it doesn't have to pull a load and so the range and efficiency can still crush the F150 ICE by many multiples despite the massive cross section and still radically out tow it by even more multiples at 300K lbs towing capacity. Ford will be in reactionary mode again. When Ford did the million lbs claim come. It was perfect because it gets their ICE head Ford base worried- but it was also a bit of an attempt at dishonesty because it was an effort at saying the Tesla 300,000 lbs tow capacity wasn't real. But if the Tesla pick up is this big as shown in the Tesla provided picture and at top spec it could be real for 300K. I used to think the brakes would be a limiting factor then I realized they don't have to because of regenerative braking. I also thought the same of the tires but then I realized these larger vehicles might have an efficient tire solution that still had enough contact patch- seems like a single tire accommodating a dual tire width in the picture. But its still pushing it because Musk said this would have 2 Model 3 motors to the Semi's 4 Mode 3 motors and 4-6 tires to the Semi's 10 tires. My guess is the Semi really has a 2x the tow capacity of at least 600Klbs which is why Musk said it would tow any Diesel Class 8 up a hill backwards in a tug o war.

I am hoping Tesla shows the Production Semi, and the Cyber Truck and the more sedate vehicle above all together- if they need to and there is interest in the more sedate vehicle they could have momentary help with its production to get it going earlier- hope they don't outsource- think it is a bad compromise but they will figure it out, unless they also intend to eventually buy the supplier that helped them for instance temporarily build the bodies for the sedate vehicle. That more conservative sedate vehicle could also serve as a van with more than the requisite height- you can see its possible to stand up in he bed or the cab and not hit your head- they'd just have to lower it and use smaller wheels and possibly go with thinner back tires- it has the aero for it already.

But let me say I believe the sedate design as it is very, very close to perfect. Keep the door handles blacked out. Don't put the stupid mirrors on it. Don't use anymore chrome. Don't do Ford style lights on the back. That thing is perfect as it is in the picture. And perfect if they roll it out on stage with the F-150 on the bed. Maybe having it going through a course full tilt with a F-150 in the back. And given the price point on the Semi for striping out 2 motors and needing less redundancy and less structural stiffness, less tires, and less battery - should be able to hit the price points at the low end of 49K given the semis are 150K? and 180k$ and that spacing in percentage may give us an idea of the top and bottom price spec on the pick up as well. Hope they leave the capacity to charge up from a mega charger. It also makes sense because it uses the Semi design language which has brand continuity and is inherently conservative with the Semi's proven aero.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Musk's presentation of a fanciful render of a giant-sized "pickup" big enough to hold a pickup in the back was a joke. It's rather obvious in the context of his speech that it was presented as a joke. He even laughed when talking about it.

It's amazing how many people don't get that, and I'm not just talking about our resident conspiracy theorist here.

I don't know what the Tesla "Cyber Truck" is gonna look like, but I am entirely sure that Tesla isn't going to sell a large truck for a base price of $49,000.

5. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

No, you're missing it. He elaborated too much for it to be a joke, saying it shouldn't be legal but it is to have such large vehicles under a regular license.

You also apparently didn't even skim the post. I said this image would be a great test for a baseline for the more conservative plan B if people didn't like the more radical design which remember wasn't talked about at the time the photo was shown. But you're missing some other things.

The US truck market is not large in the US and non-existent elsewhere(Ford really can't sell these outside the US) because Americans are a bunch of stupid red necks that prefer pickem up trucks. Its large because the big 3 couldn't compete against the Japanese and they whined constantly until a few decades ago they got (and still have) a 25% tariff that kept the Japanese out to hide behind. Worse yet the US has an idiot policy that instead of penalizing heavier vehicles on a scale that actually increases as he weigh goes up like Norway the US actually moronically exempts them from fuel economy standards because the goal is to get captive Americans to buy more fossil fuel and create a perception of greater safety (heavier higher vehicle) and more utility around that- even though they aren't safe Model 3 is safest and it is a car. Remember US auto manufactures are profit first trying to screw the public any way they can (especially including their own employees) through things like designed break/replace on time models in order to enrich rich parasites credit card you can't pay off 'owners' but above all to be part of the retail apparatus of the fossil fuel industry and the petrol dollar delusion.

So that creates a huge opportunity to use alum steel (brand giga steel- strength of titanium but much less weight and cost of steel- much lighter than steel) and much more efficient and powerful, compact and lighter (save for the battery) electric propulsion units to make a much larger, radically more powerful, still much more efficient- zero emission vehicles that will stomp puffed up marshmallow US pick up trucks- vehicles that are inherently inferior in the face of rational level playing field policy, but leave a huge opportunity for Tesla to destroy them the way its destroyed the entire global luxury segment- really worse.

That more conservative design, just as sketched including the size (and there is a class of pickups in that size) would destroy the Ford-GM-FCA stuff in the market if it had the expected characteristics. It would just have to drop down low into a track mode to have 911 track performance but that might be for a higher end model anyway. It would need great tires but its already much lower center of gravity will help leverage those tire patches needed for heavy loads and braking. That bigger bed means more stuff and weight can be carried there without a trailer.

This also explains the Toyota puzzle to an extent. We know that Toyota had the stupid long tail pipe plan try to scrape some novel hydro carbon off the bottom of the sea and convert that to hydrogen. We know that is a total failure. We also know that Toyota may be trying to live down the trojan horse electric car Prius and having helped give birth to Tesla. And we know that Tesla has been killing its profit center Lexus and it has to be nervous about facing electric Chinese competition and is trying to stall. But now we find out it supported he moronic bought and paid for corrupt Trump plan to sell out the public by lowering fuel economy standards and that from 2012-2017 Toyota was the only repeat ONLY! automaker globally to actually go backwards on both fuel economy and grams per mile of C02 when it was only middling on both to begin with when its Japanese competition Honda (which opposed the Trump) plan was the best. This is it trying to such up to get room on US trucks or trying to atone and because it may now not like what Tesla is doing- how many times has it waffled.

If Tesla wants to pound the US trucks and I think we know it does Musk is most excited about this product and thinks its Tesla's best product ever- and the stupid pick-ups are such an affront to green (even green as the new brown- confederate sensibilities) he has to go big- remember the trend setters in this field are trying to compensate for something- they need big things and call attention to themselves and identify their egos and genitals with their vehicles remember the trend of dangling synthetic scrotums- he can't go with a weeny mid sized like the Rivian, he has to go with big rockets and huge. That is also how you cancel the most F150s and get Ford and GM to come on their hands and knees begging to repackage Tesla tech without making stupid counter demands. It is how you get people delay the purchase of the next pickup for 5 to 7 years while wait for the perfect electric because the ICE is obviously a foolish value proposition.

More and more we see the Trump regime is just a fossil fuel protection regime since 1950 fossil fuels have always been a waste of and are the number 1 reason for American decline- imaged a garbage captured US media that for decades has talked about the otherwise irrelevant to the US Mid East for decades more than its covered the actual US. We can already see the 6000th useless fossil fuel bailout effort with the NHTSA trying to disrupt the launch telling the media how it has set it up to be able to fine Tesla over its superior products to coincide with the launch.

This reminds me of the response to the Economics profession claiming Piketty's model of r>g is non explanatory that you can't measure capital (grandma's silverware from chip making equipment) and that it can't be as simple and rent seeking that it has to be some mysterious mechanism of scarcity induction (although that comes into it) etc. But it is as simple as quid pro quo, a rent seeker descendants have only one skill you manager get me x return in x time or I'll replace you soul which I keep in a permanent state of subsistence with another manager who will. This is the quid pro quo and that is what these agencies are doing at the quid pro quo behest of a group that really believes is gluttonous continued enrichment is the only good but that it has to be a secret to keep from upsetting people who would not understand because they are victimized by it.

6. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

Thinking back about the PNAC or Project for a New American Century. 1. It was just based on racism really, it was about preserving and enhancing white and semitic power. 2. It involved killing a lot of people. 3. It called for tech suppression and information suppression and constant unending misinformation. Imagine the arrogance and total stupidity of people thinking that they could trap all of humanity in an 18th century new cotton fossil fuel energy regime. And they didn't think they would get caught and they thought if they did no one could hold them accountable. Its like even as late as 2000 when they started to act on this they didn't see or count on the internet. Maybe this crap went back to the Powell memo? They have failed, it seems they guaranteed a new Chinese century. The world is in the process of deposing the fossil fuel oppressor and its GOP support group along with sell out DNC moderates.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Entirely correct. Try making your posts about 95% shorter, 90% less rambling, and 90% more on-topic for an EV forum, and I'll actually read them -- or at least skim all the way thru -- far more often. Also, start posting your off topic threads -- which is most of them -- in "Off Topic" where they belong, instead of in "General" in an unjustified and unreasonable attempt to get more attention.

As it is, I'm entirely sure that most people don't bother to even glance at anything you post, since there is almost never anything that makes sense, let alone anything worth spending time to read.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Re-Volted and R P like this.