Mods for your Clarity

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by alyssai, Apr 28, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. alyssai

alyssai Member

I just wanted to see what mods or accessories everyone has gotten or are planning on adding onto your car. For me:

Done
    Honda Rubber Floor Mats
    Honda Trunk Tray
    Garmin Dash Cam 55
    Llumar Pinnacle 30 Ceramic Tint (except windshield)

To Do
    Llumar Air 80 Blue (windshield)
    Mud Flaps

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Hi.Ho.Silver

Hi.Ho.Silver Active Member

4. Lucien Mcleod

Lucien Mcleod Member

Little spoiler / mudflap action

Attached Files:

5. AGarg

AGarg New Member

May I ask how much did it cost to install the Llumar Formula One Pinnacle tint?

6. alyssai

alyssai Member

I got a discounted price from a place in Santa Rosa. Their regular price is $450, but I got it for $410. I live in San Francisco and got many quotes. This was the best price I could get without traveling too far since only a few locations are certified to install it.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. alyssai

alyssai Member

How were you able to remove the side skirt?

9. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Done:
    -Honda D80 80,000/8yr extended warranty purchased for $1,304
    -deleted all dealer options, so mud flaps and striping were free (couldn’t remove)
    -Honda trunk tray
    -3M clear film for rear bumper top, door sills, door handle cups (buy it by the ft and cut your own for $25)
    -Hour meter for ICE
    -Wincos ceramic IR/heat blocking 25% VLT film on all side glass and 35% on rear glass, 70% VLT on windshield
    -3M ScotchGuard applied to all suede surfaces on dash and doors (also to white stitching on leather seats)
    -Leather balm applied to seats
    -NuFinish polymer wax applied
    -RainX applied to outside glass and added to wiper fluid (<35-40mph, don’t need wipers)
    -Inside/outside plastic treated with 303 Protectant (aviation community swears by this stuff, doesn’t leave a shine, just protects, $12/bottle on sale Auto Zone)
    -under hood detailed w 303 Protectant
    -Honda puzzle locks for all wheels
    -Seat Defender purchased for $35 and stored in trunk cubby. (Very nice black water proof, no slide slip on temp seat cover for when I get dirty/muddy, esp w those beige seats)
    -Honda mud mats (not good for front coverage but couldn’t wait for Weather Tech.)
    -Aligned headlights
    -Replace the 4 vanity lights w LEDs
    -Applied dielectric grease to charger port and handle connections
    -Got Honda Link, phone paired, Car Play up and running
    -Put USB port in rear lighter socket
    -Got leather cover for fob (with August smart lock on front door, I don’t carry any keys, just phone and fob)
    -Put bling on charge door

To do:
    -Install Charge Point 32a Level 2 EVSE in garage (and clean out garage so car will fit!)
    -Install Rexing dual “dash” cam on windshield
    -Reinstall Dash Designs retractable sunshade for windshield (removed to put film on windshield)
    -protect front bumper/grill from road rash with spray on/peel off clear film (much cheaper than the precut products)
    -Buy WeatherTech (not available yet) or Tuxmat (just came available) mud mats to replace skimpy OEM ones
    -Install corded retractable trouble light under hood if space can be found (left over from old Suburban)
    -Install rpm gauge (have to find a way through firewall first)
    -find some way/place to put a trash bag in car
    -buy/install some no slip surface for phone perch
    -Install window vent guards whenever WeatherTech has them available
    -consider upgrading speakers
    -consider receiver hitch if Clarity specific model is ever made at a decent price (for existing bicycle rack)

West1, Veizour and workbench like this.
  10. Ken - would you be willing to share some photos of your dashcam install? Did you hardwire it?

11. KentuckyKen

Would be happy to, Demian, just as soon as I get it done. It loooks like he wire will easily go up into gap at top of windshield, then under edge of A pillar air bag trim, then down under rubber trim to a groove at bottom of dash to under dash.
    Originally planned to hard wire with the Rexing $10 kit but that comes with a straight mini usb plug. I am installing on glass behind left side of mirror, so I need it as close as possible to center to keep it from obstructing view. So I will now be using the included cig lighter plug because it has a 90% usb plug that lets me get it closer to center (plugs in on right of cam). Wires will run the same just not to empty fuse location. Will go under dash to cig lighter. Scoping it out this weekend and will post a new thread w pix when I get it done.
    The hardest thing will be positioning it on windshield to minimize obstructing view while allowing rear facing cam to see below mirror. ( I have mirror all the way up)
    Will make more sense when you see the pix. It’s a Rexing V2 which has rear cam built in so it picks up inside and doesn’t require me to run the wire to a cam at back window.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Uye47

Uye47 New Member

What’s the process of switching to LED for the vanity mirrors? You are an awesome resource

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

workbench likes this.
  14. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I'm the type that pretty much leaves my cars stock. But I really like the idea of applying dielectric grease to the charger port It should help the contact as well as make it easier to insert and remove. That's on my list for tomorrow.

I had trailer connection troubles for many years until someone told me about dielectric grease. Now I only have to service the trailer connector on my SUV every two years or so.

Thanks KentuckyKen

NeuHonda likes this.
  15. KentuckyKen

NeuHonda and Uye47 like this.
  16. Streakr6

Streakr6 New Member

I replaced the horns, the OEM horns get no respect at best and could be dangerous if the other driver is hard of hearing. Had a person pull into a business driveway and then just stopped partly in the turn for no reason that we could see - no dogs, kids, people, cars in the way, etc... which left my tail-end out in the street on a busy road. They did move after we honked but it was an embarrassing honk and I wasn't even sure they would move their car.

We installed the PIAA 85115 Superior Bass Horns. The connectors are different (spade) on the new horns, was just going to solder the wires directly to the new horns, but the solder wouldn't wick to the wire, not sure what type of wiring is in the car - odd.... So we used the crush type connectors, which I like to stay away from if at all possible. The horns now sound much louder and is also a better quality. I'm sure there are better horns out there and looks to me like there is space for a horn with a compressor if you are into that.

Hard to believe that Honda saved much money installing such cheap horns on a very expensive car (to me)... Love the car even more now!

West1 and alyssai like this.
  17. Hi.Ho.Silver

Hi.Ho.Silver Active Member

I agree that the horns are an embarrassment and I’ve been wanting to improve them. Where are they located? How do you get at them? Do the PIAA fit without any modifications to the Clarity?

18. KentuckyKen

Yes, yes!! With pictures pretty please?

19. 714hello

714hello Member

LOL I used the horn today for the first time and it was funny. Such a tiny and wimpy sound.. didn't Honda test the horn before releasing the car?

20. KentuckyKen

Of course they did. It was the same engineer that “tested” the HV milage estimate accuracy and let the picture with an indicated HV range of 2,200 miles end up in the manual on p129. :)

Kestrel likes this.
  21. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

You folks must be east-coasters. California isn't a horn kind of state. I might hear a horn once a month and then its more like an alert toot. People in Redding CA are extremely patient with other drivers. I'm not sure I've beeped the Clarity horn yet.

insightman likes this.
  22. Thanks for all of the tips! I have the following on order for my new Clarity:
    Tuxmat floor mats (complete set)
    LED bulbs for vanity mirrors
    Splash Guards
    Blue Stabil for gas tank
    I also will be getting my BlackVue dash cam reinstalled after removing it from my previous car - I plan to put the rear cam in the trunk lid window.
    I am thinking about replacing the horn also, it is a joke IMO. No I don't live on the east coast - Seattle area traffic can be pretty bad.

23. dstrauss

dstrauss Well-Known Member

Wimpy, wimpy, wimpy...air horns (if you can get them) in Texas...

There's a sound sample for the PIAA's on Youtube (and I have to say, the "stock" horns they are comparing them to are major improvements over the ones we have - I'd be glad to even have those):