MINI SE On Track (One Lap)

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by KyleConner, Apr 18, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. KyleConner

KyleConner New Member

I had the new electric MINI at the track this week and made a One Lap video with it (one lap of the track in any vehicle).

Thought you all would like to see how the MINI does when you turn it up to 11. Here to answer any questions about how this car handles in dynamic situations, I was able to spend quite a bit of time near the limit with the car this week.

Kyle

SmartElectric and Domenick like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

So many years after the i3 was released it's disappointing that the MINI Cooper SE doesn't offer sufficient cooling to deliver more than a single full-power lap.

I remember MINI publicizing the how the SE lapped the Nurburgring without using its brakes. I never found out how long that 12.9-mile lap took. Did they just putt around that course at 35 mph?

Oh well, as long as my SE can give me full power to get away from the few stoplights on Main St. I'll be happy. If I ever get my SE, that is. Now back to watch the video again and imagine what it would be like.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    SmartElectric likes this.
  4. KyleConner

KyleConner New Member

I agree - I drove it hard on the street nailing it at every opportunity and there was no hint of power cut. I had filmed this one lap right after multiple drag races and one medium paced lap... still nothing extreme but it’s no track car. Great for a back road or autox!

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

@KyleConner, can you explain why the MINI Cooper SE would exhibit so much understeer when it supposedly has 50/50 weight distribution, which would place less weight on the front wheels than the thermal MINIs you've driven before? Would the stouter suspension (from a bigger MINI, I believe I read) installed to compensate for the battery weight have anything to do with it?

6. KyleConner

KyleConner New Member

I am pretty sure the weight distribution is 58% front biased but all MINIs push from the factory. A stiffer rear sway bar usually solves most of the problems. There are so many variables with suspension design that I couldn't begin to understand it all so I can't comment on the exact reason it pushes so much.

Domenick and insightman like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Member

Rough comparison of RWD EV's you've driven like i3, Tesla SR+ (or MR or LR) RWD?
    No need to compare to Smart ED lol, but since you and I have the same Smart ED year, perhaps that too LOL!

9. KyleConner

KyleConner New Member

It's very different - definitely more eager to get pushed hard than i3 (maybe not i3S I haven't driven one). Model 3 is much more capable in any configuration, no comparison.

I'll put it this way... It's the first time a FWD EV hasn't bothered me... But I still believe if there's only going to be one motor it should be on the back axle.

Kyle

10. Isaac Simon

Isaac Simon New Member

Has anyone installed a rear sway bar? Anything unusual, or same approach and result as a regular s?