Michelin & GM Join for Final Development of Airless Tire for EVs & Other Vehicles

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Texas22Step, Jun 5, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

Michelin at the "Movin' On Summit" in Montreal on June 4 announced its future airless tire currently called "UPTIS" or "Unique Puncture-proof TIre System" and a testing program to begin on GM's Chevy Bolt EV's later this year in Michigan.

Here are a couple photos of one of the prototype tires on a Bolt, plus the Michelin press release and a couple of links for more information.

Maybe run-flat tires will be obsoleted by this concept, if it reaches production at an affordable price (that is to say, Michelin & GM are not full of just hot air on this idea).

For more info see: https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/04/michelin-uptis-2024-chevy-bolt-airless-tire-test/ and https://michelinmedia.com/michelin-uptis/?
    PrototypeWheels04.JPG PrototypeWheels14_edit.jpg

Attached Files:

4sallypat likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

I want no compromises airless tires now!

Texas22Step likes this.
  4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I wonder what the tread life and grip are on those, and how long it takes to develop a flat spot when parked vs regular tires. And will they be low rolling resistance?

bpratt and Texas22Step like this.
  5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Their rolling resistance will decrease as the open cells fill up with mud entering from the side. However, I imagine that when the mud dries out, it will crumble and exit the tire. It won't be enough to detail your wheels (as if I ever do that)--soon you'll have to detail the insides of your tires, too!

Texas22Step likes this.
  6. Texas22Step

Yes, I initially had this exact same concern too. But, on looking at some of the available info on the Michelin web site and other places, it is apparent that the tires shown on the Bolt are "cut-away" demo tires to show the interior construction and how these tires would work. I don't think sidewalls of some sort will go away. Take a look at this video to better see how it is all supposed to work:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

I watched the video and went to Michelin's Uptis website to read their FAQ and download their Visual Assets zip file. I don't see any images that include a sidewall on this tire. If there was a sidewall, wouldn't each cell need a vent to allow air to go in and out as the tire flexes?

Texas22Step likes this.
  9. Texas22Step

That certainly is a logical question. I think the video animation shows a sort of “spider web” that encloses the sidewall, but even that seemingly would allow road dirt, ice & snow, etc. to accumulate.... Since they say GM will do road testing on a fleet of Bolts in Michigan starting late this year (winter), we will see what production design(s) they have in mind then, I suppose.

10. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

Looks like they would work great for a lunar rover. I guess we'll have to wait and see how well they work for us earthlings.

11. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

That style tire has been offered on ZTR mowers for quite some time now. EXTREMELY expensive...but they work well as no flat mower tires. Low speed obviously. Introduced in 2013ish if I recall?
    https://www.michelintweel.com/tweel-Turf.html

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Ugly and a non-starter for a Michigan winter with snow/ice. Even mud would throw off the balance. This idea needs work.

14. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

There isn't any vent on a normal tire to accommodate flex, why would that be needed on this?

15. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

Sidewalls would take care of that.

16. insightman

A normal tire counts on contained air to maintain its shape. If each cell in the Uptis tire was enclosed by a sidewall then the air-tight cell wouldn't be able to flex the way it can without a sidewall. If the walls of the cell were weakened to compensate for stiffness of the air-tight cell, then we're back to a tire that can go flat if the sidewall is breached. Then there's the issue of heat introduced by the flexing of the cell walls; a sidewall would not permit air-cooling.

Texas22Step likes this.
  17. KentuckyKen

How about sidewalls AND holes between all the partitions???
    Then no debris can get in and air just moves around between the cells as the ones on the bottom compress.
    Just not sure about heat build up and if sidewalls will allow the partitions to flex as they do in the ones with no sidewalls on ATVs and mowers.
    I bet they are still a work in progress and won’t be ready for automotive use at reasonable prices and tread life, etc. for quite a while.

Texas22Step likes this.
  18. insightman

Then just one big vent to let the air in and out--and heat out--of the tire? If there's no vent, then it's just a pneumatic tire, isn't it?

Texas22Step likes this.
  19. KentuckyKen

Technically, but you could leave it unpressurized (at atmospheric pressure) so it wouldn’t depend on being aired up to function and would retain its run flat properties?
    Hey, what do all those experts At Michelin know that we don’t? Can’t we just plant some rubber trees in the backyard and start making our own tires.
    Haha!!

Texas22Step and MPower like this.
  20. insightman

How to make a great calendar! (Although it was Pirelli that most famous for great calendars.)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    Texas22Step and KentuckyKen like this.
  21. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Looks like a fabulous advancement, if they can make them last as long as regular tires at a competitive price!

Imagine never having to worry about having a flat tire for the rest of your life. Of course, just like almost anything in constant use, it will wear out eventually. But IMHO this could be quite and improvement over existing tires!

Texas22Step likes this.
  22. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Ideally, it should allow air to pass in and out of the tire, altho only slowly, to prevent heat buildup from over-pressurizing the tire. One problem with pneumatic tires is they need to be maintained at an exact pressure for best MPG/ energy efficiency, but as the tire heats up from driving, the air inside expands. These non-inflating ("airless") tires offer the possibility of eliminating that disadvantage.

The question is, where do you put vent holes that will prevent mud and debris from entering? Maybe holes in the rim? I dunno, there's probably some clever solution which escapes me at the moment.

Personally, I doubt that passing air between cells should be an engineering challenge. Just make the partitions between cells as full of holes as Swiss cheese; problem solved. Air should be able to pass from one to another so easily that no significant amount of compression will happen, and thus no appreciable heating of the air.

Texas22Step likes this.
  23. Texas22Step

How about a great restaurant guide & "star" restaurant rating system?

insightman likes this.