Maintenance costs

Discussion in 'Honda' started by SDclaritydriver, Jul 31, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SDclaritydriver

SDclaritydriver New Member

hi. Can anyone help me guesstimate the maintenance cost of the clarity? I’m trying to compare the 5-year cost of maintenance of the clarity to a Honda CR-V (which my mechanic estimates about $1100/year. Includes oil and tires over a 5 year period). Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Bender

Bender Active Member

1k a year to me would be absurd for any car, or at least any I would consider.

My 2010 ford fusion hybrid had under $450 of required maintenance total over 10 years and 114k miles and it was still in great shape until it was totaled, $1k including the engine mounts I deferred replacing. The $450 consists of ~$150 for engine coolant at 100k miles and 10 oil changes at dealerships for $15-$35 each. Probably was a spark plugs too I am forgetting... But that's all.

I don't count tires as maintenance, but as consumables like gas/ electricity. Tires cost more than the maintenance items, ~$650 x 2 full replacement cycles of the Michelins. The were more individual replacements but the frer prorated road hazard warranty worked out to about the same costs per mile as replacing all 4 at once during a buy 3 get 1.

Im expecting 10k mi oil changes and tire rotations at 7500 for the clarity. Local dealer has a $24.95 service coupon on their website for oil+tire rotation+fluids+multipoint.
    Hopefully no other things until 50k at least but they unfortunately don't publish the maintenance schedule.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    Teslawannabe likes this.
  4. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Other than tires, which I consider to be a consumable along with wiper blades and cabin air filters, I've only had to pay for one oil change service in 20 months and 33,000 miles.

High reliability keeps the cost down. Decades ago I learned to make reliability a key factor in choosing a car. Our 2008 Prius, now owned by my son, has over 200,000 miles on it and has never had a single problem that required repair. Even the original brake pads are still good. Our 2005 Toyota 4Runner has had exactly two repair costs in the 10 years we've owned it.

Bender likes this.
  5. Bender

Bender Active Member

Shoot i did forget the $10-$15 oem cabin filters and the wiper blades. Also I replaced brake lights, and had to replace the 2 sockets ($15 ea) because the clips broke when changing the bulbs. Plus two oem Motorcraft 12V batteries, but those are prorated for free over 10yrs (only if you point it out... not sure if Honda's are too). So that all adds around another $20/yr over the 10 years.

No brakes cost because it was a hybrid, still 1/3 + life left at 110k mi. One key is knowing what to reject from the unneccessary extra maintenance a garage will suggest. The dealer with the cheapest oil changes suggested the most unnecessary things. If its based "on miles"/time and not called for by the manufacturer, then its nonsense. Additional things can need service by inspection and observation of problems. If I followed the dealer's "recommended" service, would have been $10k+ more over the 10years.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  6. ab13

ab13 Active Member

This dealer shows what they charge for different services, see the bottom.

https://www.gardenahonda.com/specials/service.htm

You should need either 1 or 2 services a year depending on your driving miles.

If you don't include tires or brakes, which won't be needed often on a hybrid, then it should be pretty low. Maybe $500 or less. Possibly far less if you use an independent shop.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Teslawannabe

Teslawannabe Active Member

I was very surprised when I read the owners manual and it didn't have the maintenance schedule?

Bender likes this.
  9. Bender

Bender Active Member

Yes. Although it does largely say in the manual to just use the maintenance minder. And the codes call for specific things which you can look up.

The OEMs should ban dealers with OEM Nameplate garages that don't follow OEM recommendations, like the one that ab13 posted a link to. Many of the garages will even list their own "required maintenance" with items that don't even apply and can't be performed on the vehicle without damaging it. (such as, transmission flushes when the transmission is purposefully sealed and not intended to be opened, warning of damage in the manual. Which was pushed by a dealer garage for my prior vehicle.)

On the plus side, with things as they are people who aren't pushovers can find really cheap under-cost oil changes subsidized by unwarranted "maintenance" paid for by everyone else. These shoddy garages really tarnish the brand reputations as well as the competitive value of their vehicles.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019