Lots of brand new info from Pre Delivery Inspection doc; esp. on battery replacement

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by KentuckyKen, Jul 26, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Thanks to @Atkinson for sending me a treasure trove of docs he found on Honda Tech. The best of the lot is the attached Pre Delivery Inspection (SB 17-093) that lists a lot of info not previously sourced on the forum.
    Here are some of the highlights:

1. We finally have a documented metric on when Honda will replace our batteries. It says this will be a warranty covered replacement when the battery degrades to less than 36.6 Ah. The original capacity is ~55 Ah so we get a battery replacement under warranty after losing ~1/3 of our capacity or range. Note that the car will NOT throw a diagnostic code for this. The only way to know is to go to the dealer and have them check the Battery Pack Capacity signal with their i-HDS. Or wait until ScanGague and our beta tester, @AnthonyW gets it working.
    So 33% div by 8 yr warranty = ~4% loss per year worst case. That’s pretty good and even better in Cali w their 10 yr warranty.
    Some of you EE guys please check my math and assumptions here.

2. It has pix of 2 jacking points (rear at center tie down and front on casing in a triangular opening just behind the center line of the front wheels). These are how you jack the front or rear end (both wheels) off the ground. It also shows the 4 lift point on the sides where you can see a welded angle piece. And cautions against lifting anywhere else.

3. It says the dealer is to charge the HV battery but explicitly says NOT to use the customer’s charging cable. This may explain why a lot of dealers are not charging their Claritys. They’re too cheap to buy a charger. (Not going to get into the stupidity issue!)

4. It says to install 4 body plugs (under car just behind front wheels and just before rear wheels and has a picture). It says “they are part of the noise reduction package and play a big part in reducing road noise”. I checked my car and they were not installed! I have my dealer ordering them now. So I have little faith that the pre delivery inspection was done correctly. You might want to check your Claritys for this. They fit in oblong oval holes (maybe 1x2”) about 6” from the edge of the sides of the car.

5. misc tidbits:
    -Shows the 2 fuses pulled during shipping to reduce battery drain. May be helpful for those who store their Clarity for a period.
    -Each wiper arm has its own motor. So they are not connected and are controlled by the computer as to position. I accidentally reversed their testing positions during a wash n wax and one moved by itself and then they reset to their correct positions. Wow!
    -The Nav System is supposed to be checked by dealer per SB 17-094
    -Says the dealer is to check the remote climate control, charging, etc, and make sure the charging timer is not set.
    -Says you cannot start the car or charge the battery below -22 F and that charging times go up with cold weather.

All the thanks goes to @Atkinson for finding this and to @AnthonyW for finding all the battery info so I could do the calculations. I’m just carrying their water and making this available.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. tdiman

tdiman Member

I don't have the plugs either! Not a shock, they also sent us home with 50psi in the tires. Thanks for this!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

wase4711 and occphv like this.
  4. amy2421

amy2421 Active Member

Thanks for posting this, I am still awaiting... hopefully the dealer will do all of this. I'd be curious to know how many people have the plugs installed, maybe a photo of them in and not so I can check for it?

Thanks again!

5. AnthonyW

AnthonyW Well-Known Member

Well my plugs are actually in there. I didn’t think they would be because I had to wait a few weeks for my car to arrive. It got here at 3:00pm on a Friday and I picked it up at 9:00am the next morning. They did a good job!!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

I found plugs installed, but wow is this car complex!
    I have never seen an undercarriage like this.
    Aluminum suspension components everywhere including large sub-frame pieces.
    And there is a large (kind of) felt cover with hoses and wires and battery underneath.
    It's like a museum under there.
    I don't know how this is going to survive New England road salt.
    This cost some money to build.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. amy2421

amy2421 Active Member

Any way you could post a photo? Thanks! :)

9. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

Thank you for sharing this!

10. tdiman

tdiman Member

Look at the PDF for location... You can't miss them. Front ones are easier to see from ground though, rear are obscured a bit.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

11. JCEV

JCEV Active Member

I dont think I have the plugs

Attached Files:

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Eagle51

Eagle51 New Member

My plugs are missing as well. Does anyone have a part number for them?

14. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

Amazing, thank you!

15. Carro con enchufe

Carro con enchufe Active Member

I definitely don’t have the plugs. Thanks for sharing. This could explain why some people think the ride is quiet and others complain of road noise.

16. JCEV

JCEV Active Member

Can someone post a picture of how the plugs look in person installed

17. Young J Kwak

Young J Kwak Member

Holy Bejebus,

Thank you for posting this!
    They are missing on my vehicle as well!
    Will call the dealer tmrw and get this addressed.

Thank you again!

18. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Active Member

Funny, I think I had those plugs in my 2005 Odyssey glove box. I never knew what they were for. I wonder how much of a difference it makes. I could have had a quieter Odyssey for 13 years. Thanks for sharing.

19. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

If I have it correctly, they are oval black plastic snap-in pieces in the location indicated by the diagram in the PDI doc.
    The two front plugs are more inboard than the rears.
    I pulled one off and put it back in.
    Hoping someone can confirm I have the right parts.
    JCEV, I get your question - I spent about 10 minutes second-guessing if I had it right.

20. Carro con enchufe

Carro con enchufe Active Member

I found the holes and stuck my fingers about an inch deep. I assume this means they’re missing, right?

21. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Here's the illustration for those who cannot open the PDF:

upload_2018-7-26_20-57-11.png

Central Penn, Elm, Eagle51 and 3 others like this.
  22. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Here’s a picture of where they are.

PNG image.png “8. Install the Body Plugs Install the body plugs as shown. These plugs are part of the noise-reduction package and play a big part in reducing road noise. “

Based on this, if you don’t have them, I’d get your dealer to order them. I did and parts dept said no problem. They said they would come from a warehouse in Cali and take a week to get in. I’ll post if they make any difference.

Johnhaydev likes this.
  23. Odobo

Odobo Active Member

Johnhaydev likes this.