Looking for a trailer hitch

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Stan-O, Jan 22, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Stan-O

Stan-O Member

I know fine folks from etrailer have designed a custom Clarity trailer hitch and I'm looking to buy one used. I figured there ought to be people who leased their Clarities and don't want to buy them out, but had a hitch.

Brand new one is $299 with free US shipping, so I figured $120-$150 (depending on condition) + shipping is a fair price.

PS. Never had a hitch on a car before, for the purpose of the bike rack or maybe small cargo rack, is there much of a difference between 1.5" size and 2" size?

Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Torklift also makes a hitch. Sizes available are 2” & 1 1/4”. There may be more accessories available in the 2” size and it may be a bit more stable. The 1 1/4” size would not interfere with ground clearance as much.

I went with the 2”, as we already had a bike rack in that size. I can only speak for myself, but I wouldn’t remove the hitch unless it was going to be installed on another Clarity. We aren’t leasing the car and it may be a requirement to remove a hitch from a leased vehicle. Very few owners on this forum have installed a hitch. One owner recently had a car totaled that was adorned with a hitch. Who knows where that car is today?

A junkyard may be your best bet, but it’s a needle in a haystack situation any way you approach it, that could involve a great deal of search time and labor to remove and reinstall.

insightman likes this.
  4. Bender

Bender Active Member

Stan-O likes this.
  5. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Good luck. Seems like a needle-in-a-haystack type of search. Finding someone who turned in (or sold) their Clarity who just happened to take the effort to remove their trailer hitch which requires removing all of the rear fascia. Then hoping this person is still watching this site looking for someone who wants to buy a used hitch. Sounds like about the same probability I had of winning the recent lottery.

6. Bender

Bender Active Member

Assuming a junk yard buys my car, it might be possible to find it (by vin), and some junk yards pull parts to ship.

It's possible OP could just watch the listing and after auction find it by searching the vin on parts networks.

It really doesn't seem worth it though to save a couple dollars.
    (The ecohitch is only $300 brand new, though I bought mine at 20% off for $240)

Stan-O and Mowcowbell like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.